Saw Cleaning / Beautification Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chlorinated brake clean will do that. Non-chlorinated (I should have put that in my post) like CRC Brakleen does not do that. As for softening paint or plastics, I always test before using. I've yet to find paint it will remove other than cheap spray paint. Hell, I cleaned an old Stihl 07S with it and it didn't damage the paint at all. The Purple Power stuff is hell on aluminum, so watch out for that. ANY cleaner that will dissolve the gunk on chainsaws should be used with caution until it's proven for your use.

use mineral spirits on the parts you are concerned about melting or discoloring, works good on grease and pine.
we even use it on stoves in my dads rental properties, gets grease off and never hurts anything on the stove even plastics.

Compressor, WD40 and generic rag. I bought a 5 L jug of WD40 on sale a year ago, need so little but still works great. You need to shake the "non pressurized spray can type" before use! With the compressor I love cleaning the bar grooves! You go from tip to base with the nozzle in the groove. Voila finished! On the rag I prefer the thicker rough cotton type.

Just installed a dishwasher in my shop this morning. I had a MS250 and a MS211 to work on and both were filthy. It took me 20 minutes each to break them down; side covers off, handles off, carbs removed, everything plugged. Chucked the pile of parts into the dishwasher and then sat down to sharpen a bunch of chains. This washer takes about two hours to complete. Both saws came out spotless. Each of these saws would have taken a minimum of 60 minutes to clean to the level the dishwasher got them. Man, talk about happy customers too.

Agreed on the dishwasher comment, although Brad is the queen of clean. Saying that with respectful intent as he has some of the nicest looking saws. I think they run good too.

Brad is definately meticulous about his toys. :rock: I resent how beautiful his Stihl 044 is that I saw pics of in a recent thread. :laugh::bowdown:

Latest posts

Back