Saw cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Short of blowing out the air filter from time to time I don't ever clean my saws. Is there any benefit other than cosmetics that can warrant this time expenditure?

Yes. Less wear and tear on certain components. Brake assy, bar and chain, chain sprocket, and most important keep cooling fins clean. saw has to cool

Short of blowing out the air filter from time to time I don't ever clean my saws. Is there any benefit other than cosmetics that can warrant this time expenditure?

A clean saw is a happy saw! Especially if it says "STIHL" on the side...........
Yeah, it can make a diff over time with heat transfer. A clogged saw will not release heat as readily as a clean one...... just FYI mon.

KU WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A clean saw is a happy saw! Especially if it says "STIHL" on the side...........
Yeah, it can make a diff over time with heat transfer. A clogged saw will not release heat as readily as a clean one...... just FYI mon.

KU WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I need to do is touch it to a piece of wood to know it's a Stihl.:greenchainsaw: But if cleaning them regularly will make 'em last, I s'pose it can't hurt.

FANTASTIC!!!!

No...... that's what I use, Fantastic industrial strength cleaner. :laugh:

A little compressed air to blow the big stuff off, a wipe down with a shop rag to get what the air missed, another shot with the air, and then a good clean-up with the Fantastic. It cleans the grease grime and bar oil real well, will cut right through the pitch and sap, (even on the bar, and the front of the case) and removes the black marks left by some of the starter handles.

Every so often when they need it they'll get a full disassembly and through cleaning :cheers:

cleaning?

The only thing I clean on my 660 everyday is air filter ! Only time I clean anything is if I have to work on it. I have been cutting timber for 20 yrs and this has been my practice, lazy maybe but have had no problems.

I would like to change subject if I may and maybe start a fight !!!

What is the best bar out there? I say CANNON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I take a blow gun to my saws after each use especially around the sprocket cover, WD40 all the plastic, bar & chain. It helps keep the dirt and dust off. Then again, I am just meticulous with everything so I may just be weird.

Yep this is what I do. Also take off bar and chain, blow out bar groove, put back together , start it to get oil back on bar and chain and it's ready to go.:givebeer: :givebeer: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back