Saw debate: New vs. Old....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOD

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
...or in other words high RPM/low torque vs. low RPM/high torque. You can brag all you want about your 260 or 346 screaming away at 14 G's, but what good are those RPM,s if you drop to 7500 when cutting a big log, and have to use .325 chain that can't pull big chips? A 6500 RPM saw like a Super XL barely loses any RPM's in the cut, and powers through with the bar buried even when you lean on it, where your 260 and possibly even a 361 might bog down. And the other extreme is running bars over 36" in hardwoods, chain speed doesn't mean much with huge bars. The opposite of a saw like a 346 would be a gear drive with such a slow chain speed that you can file it while its going around.

*stirs pot*

*runs and hides*

...or in other words high RPM/low torque vs. low RPM/high torque. You can brag all you want about your 260 or 346 screaming away at 14 G's, but what good are those RPM,s if you drop to 7500 when cutting a big log, and have to use .325 chain that can't pull big chips? A 6500 RPM saw like a Super XL barely loses any RPM's in the cut, and powers through with the bar buried even when you lean on it, where your 260 and possibly even a 361 might bog down. And the other extreme is running bars over 36" in hardwoods, chain speed doesn't mean much with huge bars. The opposite of a saw like a 346 would be a gear drive with such a slow chain speed that you can file it while its going around.

*stirs pot*

*runs and hides*

ya know i saw a 181 today that i was very impressed with i do like old but i ran a 441 today and was equally impressed

ya know i saw a 181 today that i was very impressed with i do like old but i ran a 441 today and was equally impressed

Well how about that. I happen to have a 181SE and a 441. Tend the run the 441 a lot more.

That old Husky sure has a lot of gumption though! I have a couple of pretty good sized Black Locust trees to drop and buck for firewood. Might just have to get the 181 out again.

fer got a couple details

old skool
loud,slow, torque too high hell,limited anti vibe, no epa krap
new skool
quite,fast, torque lower then low hell,good anti vibe,epa krap

:popcorn:
:givebeer:

AOD

How old of saws are you talking about, and what kind of cc's are you talking about?

I am in the market for a 50-60cc saw and know a bunch of old timers with some older saws (dont know if they are willing to sell one though.) I am only used to cutting with the "newer" saws..... Just wondering where this topic is going to go.............

Maybe Big G will have go buy a old saw instead of a new saw................

Well how about that. I happen to have a 181SE and a 441. Tend the run the 441 a lot more.

That old Husky sure has a lot of gumption though! I have a couple of pretty good sized Black Locust trees to drop and buck for firewood. Might just have to get the 181 out again.

i told my dad that his next saw was a 441 and he said ok so looks like ill have another on the way

... chain speed doesn't mean much with huge bars.

*stirs pot*

*runs and hides*

Comparing a 346 vs. a huge bar? OK.

Why don't you run say an old vs. a new saw and tell us. Same manufacturer, saw bar and chain. Then post a vid. BTW I know a newer generation saw cuts faster. Plus at the end of the day a newer lighter saw with less time spent in the cut means less back pain.

No need for me to run and hide.

Mmmm. lesse, old saws/new saws...

I have a 1949 3-25 McCulloch (the early one with two knobs on the handle).
3hp. about 77cc.
25pounds
9/16" chain and gear drive.
Its great fun to take out on pretty days, just for fun.

I have a nice little Jonsered 2149
50cc, 3hp
about 13lbs, fueled up and ready to go with 16" bar and .325

I am just getting over the flu, not feeling 100%, but today I did make a small load of firewood. Took about an hour or so with the Jonsered. If I had to use the old McCulloch, I'd probably not be done yet...in fact I might have stayed home!

For me, I like running my newer stihls (026, 044) but running 031AVE is, to me, another kind of joy. It's like a train, just keep on truckin' :chainsaw:

Plus, good running 031 will crank on 2nd pull every time you want to run it even after sitting for a long time.

I know this is prob a stupid question, but what new Huskie replaced the old 2100? The only new huskie Ive had the chance to run is a 272, it is a kickarse saw no doubt, but comparing it to the old 2100 is like comparing apples to oranges, would like to try a current 100cc huskie, just so I'd know how it stacks up.

Depends

Just my two cents......

Old school done right....no rev limiter caps, plastic covers, choked off exhaust, leaky filters, flimsy oiler gears and over engineered carbs! Straight bare bones power and torque to go with the banshee howl they produce..oohhh yeahhhhh!

Other side of the coin tho....if you have to run one all day to put food on the table, you may want a few more creature comforts like anti vibe and parts available at the corner shop.

But it is sure is fun to run on the wild side with some of those big bore oldies

By "old" I am talking about 70's vintage reed valve saws that turn about 8,000 RPM, not heavy 1950's era saws. I run saws with and without AV all the time and I don't notice much difference, the same with the weight of the saw, I can toss around my Super XL all day and not be tired. I really don't see what all the grumbling about weight is, especially over less than a pound! And I like saws with little plastic, wide open mufflers and no EPA crap.

Back