Sealing ends

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wavefreak

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So this weekend I'm going to attempt to work on some junk trees in my yard. I'm not starting with good stuff so I can make my beginner mistakes on less consequential wood. I've seen in various places that once you cut a slab or lumber that you need to seal the ends for drying. Some said use roofing cement, others said aluminum paint. Any difference?

So this weekend I'm going to attempt to work on some junk trees in my yard. I'm not starting with good stuff so I can make my beginner mistakes on less consequential wood. I've seen in various places that once you cut a slab or lumber that you need to seal the ends for drying. Some said use roofing cement, others said aluminum paint. Any difference?

If it worth coating, it's worth using the RIGHT stuff! And, that is "Anchorseal" from UC Coatings... http://www.uccoatings.com/Home/Products/ANCHORSEAL

It's not the only place to get it, but it's where i get mine...

Rob

Sawer Rob is absolutely right, BUT, I have had very good luck with latex paint. Having used both, Anchorseal is much, much better, but two coats of latex paint (my wife is a paint addict so I have lots, or mismix at the local hardware store for a couple of bucks/gal) works well too. Anything is better than nothing.

I will plead out to being the resident cheapskate.

Mark

If it worth coating, it's worth using the RIGHT stuff! And, that is "Anchorseal" from UC Coatings... http://www.uccoatings.com/Home/Products/ANCHORSEAL

It's not the only place to get it, but it's where i get mine...

Rob

:agree2: Straight from the source. The more you buy the cheaper it gets, buying a gallon saves a lot vs buying quarts and buying 5 gallons saves a lot vs buying a gallon. They have some thats winterized if your temps will approach freezing

anchorseal dries clear, might help see the grain better vs paint ??

Last edited:
The log ends should be sealed as soon after they are cut down. There is no need to reseal the lumber cut from these logs unless you trim the painted ends off during the lumber making.

if the log was not sealed at felling, should anything harvested still be sealed?

if the log was not sealed at felling, should anything harvested still be sealed?

If it's not splitting at the ends I would still reseal it as milling releases tension in the timber and sealing can still help. If the log has some splits consider cutting them off down to a reasonable degree and then reseal, if it has a lots of splits consider firewood. :)

Latest posts

Back