Selective and non-selective weed killers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi guys. My first post in a LONG time. If any of you remember be, a shout out to you. Long story as to where I've been.

I hope this is the right forum for this.

Weed killers...

What do you guys/gals think the "best" selective (i.e. the grass lives) weed killer? What I mean is something potent that works as quick as possible. I have major weeds in my yard this year and treated them with Ortho Weed-B-Gone max plus crabgrass killer. This was 8 days ago. The weeds are currently looking a bit ill, a greenish/brown color, but don't look like they have had their socks blown off exactly. From past experience, it takes Ortho Weed-B-Gone a solid 3 weeks to get rid of lawn weeds. Is there something much more..."commercial" that I can buy that is a hell of a lot stronger? What about double-dosing it with weed-be-gone...(double dosing the mix that is), does that help? I am curious to know what the pros use on customer's laws.

Now what about non-selective weed killers? I have found that Round-Up works very quickly. It's great for areas where there are just broad-leaf weeds, however it does not kill everything when I use it in areas where there are "woody" weeds and vines. If I were to treat everything with Ortho Brush-B-Gone, will that take out the woody plants as well as the broad0leaf plants and grass? If not, can I just mix round-up with the brush killer?

Thanks. A lot of questions in this post, I know. I want to come up to speed on weed control and get myself hooked-up with the right chemicals for the job.

What do you guys/gals think the "best" selective (i.e. the grass lives) weed killer?

I agree with Par 3 however there are lots of other selective herbicides that are the same (I believe Par 3 is a Canadian product). The active ingredients are 2,4-D, Mecoprop and Dicamba which are available under many different names. Unfortunately this is a restricted use herbicide so unless you are certified and can show your card don't expect to be able to purchase it. Naturally you won't find it at at your garden center. You might be able to find it on the internet but if you do absolutely read the label and follow it exactly.

What I mean is something potent that works as quick as possible.

Unfortunately there is no such thing. The effect on some weeds like plaintain and dandelion can be rapid, others can take several applications. Violets forget it. As I said, follow the label because if you over apply or use too frequently you will burn the grass, under apply and you are wasting your time. The herbicide is taken in through the foliage of the plant (systemic) so you will want to apply to actively growing weeds and it will help if they have not been cut because you want the most foliage for the herbicide to be absorbed by.

Best control is over time through the regular use of herbicides as well as proper turf maintenance which will tend to not allow weeds to grow.

what about non-selective weed killers? I have found that Round-Up works very quickly. It's great for areas where there are just broad-leaf weeds, however it does not kill everything when I use it in areas where there are "woody" weeds and vines. If I were to treat everything with Ortho Brush-B-Gone, will that take out the woody plants as well as the broad0leaf plants and grass? If not, can I just mix round-up with the brush killer?

Roundup (glyphosate) is a short persistance non-selective herbicide. Again, it is taken in through the foliage of the plant so what I said above applies here also and don't expect results if you apply it to other than the foliage. Glyphosate gets absorbed into the plant system and whatever remains in the soil decomposes rapidly. So you can seed within a few days after application.

Brush-B-Gone (triclopyr) is similar to glyphosate but more effective on woody plants and I don't think has as short a persistance. Triclopyr mixed with glyphosate products are available. I suppose you could mix your own if you know what to do.

Last edited:
Thanks. Where can one purchase Imprelis? Would I need some sort of license?

Also, does anybody sell Triox anymore? I know that Ortho GroundClear has Triox in it however GroundClear is very overpriced and so heavily diluted...one quart only makes a mere gallon of spray.

Latest posts

Back