Selling hardwood lumber advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marklambert61

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey team just want a little advice...

Up until now selling by the BF has been my normal system random lengths and widths...

Now I have a customer who wants only 1" X 6" X 8' and 10' boards about 2000 feet.

So here is the question...

How much over the regular price do I charge for this type for cutting?

As I see it there is going to be some waste and extra cost i need to account for.

Mark
:givebeer:

Add 12.5% or even better,at 1/8 to the cost.Which sounds the better deal,even though they are the same.I'll take 1/8th any day.lol.

Mark, just my 2 cents - I wouldn't charge extra - A 1x6x8 has 4 bf in it. How much is 'wasted' is up to the sawyer, not the customer. You didn't say what species he wanted? You have to try to get the cants to come out 6" or 12" wide, so you can get the size you need the most of out of the log. Whatever is edged to come up with 1x6 I guess you have to find a market for, even if it's kindling wood.

Mark, just my 2 cents - I wouldn't charge extra - A 1x6x8 has 4 bf in it. How much is 'wasted' is up to the sawyer, not the customer. You didn't say what species he wanted? You have to try to get the cants to come out 6" or 12" wide, so you can get the size you need the most of out of the log. Whatever is edged to come up with 1x6 I guess you have to find a market for, even if it's kindling wood.

Also, is he going to take "mill run", or is he looking for a certain grade??? Grade means everything...

Rob

If your logs are coming in as 40’ you get four tens, if they come in as 32’ you get four eights so there is no real loss by going to set lengths over random length. Unless you are getting short logs 12’, 14’. If that is the case talk to your log source and request 8’ and 10’ multiples. The only waist would be in your jacket boards that would have made 7”, 8”, 9” ect. Therefore, the amount of waist is minimal.

I would charge the same as for random length and width because it makes stacking and sorting much easier saving you time and effort. If they want a grade other then millrun then I would raise the price.

Latest posts

Back