Sharpening question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wavefreak

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I think I'm getting the hang of sharpening but I have a few questions.

The pic shows what I'm aiming for. The third "tooth" has a burr on it. I get these sometimes after filing and was wondering how to get rid of them. On a knife you might use a steel and strop. Is this bad technique or just metal that gets pushed back normally?

Does it matter which direction you file, from the outer edge in or inside to out?

I think I'm getting the hang of sharpening but I have a few questions.

The pic shows what I'm aiming for. The third "tooth" has a burr on it. I get these sometimes after filing and was wondering how to get rid of them. On a knife you might use a steel and strop. Is this bad technique or just metal that gets pushed back normally?

Does it matter which direction you file, from the outer edge in or inside to out?

I am by no means a sharpening expert but I was always told to file from the inside out with a hand file but you are probably useing an electric grinder.

What kind of chain is this? Is it a ripping chain?

I'm assuming the picture you have posted shows the angles exaggerated for illustration purposes otherwise the side plate angle is way too much giving the huge hook in the pictures and possibly leading to the burr.

If you are using a round file try to keep 20% of the file above the cutter. Maybe the file has been too low and more of the gullet than the cutter.

This link might help:

www.oregonchain.co.uk/pdfs/MaintManual_English.pdf

Not ripping chain. Just the stock semi-chisel that came with the saw. The angles are exaggerated.

Thanks for the link.

Just wondered 'cause it was in the milling forum.

See page 49 of the PDF, number 8 looks like your problem. With a hand file I always file inside to out. Any burr will be on the side plate and can be removed with a piece of soft wood afterwards.

I use the #1 side view for my milling chain...Not alot of hook,,,,Hook is good in soft clean wood but hard wood dulls fast....
I bought a Oregon grinder last year cause I got burned out on filing...To me if you take your time,,and dont burn up the cutters,,just light cuts with the grinder wheel,,,makes a world of diffrence...Think that turns alot of people off on grinding chain when they take it to a shop and they grind half the cutters away,,and it's burnt to a crisp...

WF, I used to file inside out, but the instructions that came with my CSM recommended outside in. The reason cited was the very burr you see which is the hard chrome coating of the tooth. That burr will break off leaving a divit on the cutting edge which equals dulling. Try filing outside in & see if your results are not a edge that lasts longer. I couldn't tell the difference in initial sharpness, but I do think that the edge holds longer.
Outside in also allows me to sit or stand facing the end of the bar where I can get better control of the strokes and the angle. I found it easier & I am usually rather resistant to change,,,,,,,,,

RD

Don't worry about the burr, it is totally normal to get a burr, there is no need to remove it as it will flake off in the first 1/8" inch of wood it touches.

Instead of 'burr' worry about "glint" . A burr can form on a cutting edge without it necessarily being in the right place. This is why using a finger is not ideal for assessing sharpness.

attachment.php

In the RHS magnification the edge can still have a burr and your finger can still feel a burr but it is not in the right place and this cutter will not cut as well as the LHS cutter. The thing to look for is "glint" , if you can see glint, the edge is not in the right place. Keep sharpening till upi see no glint - the edge should look black.

As for in-out versus out-in, I only use out-in for square ground chain.

I was never happy with the way my chains cut when I started milling and was hand filling my chains,so I bought Nick The grinder and had a better cutting chain. You had to sharpen the chain from one side with the stationary head on that grinder and you got that same problem on one side of the chain when you went from outside to inside. I then bought a Maxx grinder and you can set it on either side to cut from inside to outside with out a burr problem. You can also set it to get a better angle on the side plat on chisel chain. Jim

Latest posts

Back