Shovel for ash/embers catches fire?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCR 3 EVER

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
More bad luck follows us, we were moving some embers around that fell off the log grate and putting them back on the grate when all of a sudden the shovel catches fire.:jawdrop::eek: The fire traveled up the shovel up to just the handle shaft and also luckily stopped, otherwise we would have had no choice to use our new fire extinguisher.

I can't believe it the paint was actually burning:angry2::angry2: and dropping in pieces. Luckily the shovel was inside the fireplace and not outside of it, that would have been a disastor.

Set of tools is by style selections and they will be getting a very nasty call from me today. Set was purchased at Lowe's

Wow, thats scary. Good think you remained composed and kept it in the fire.Makes me feel good about my rusty old shovel I got out of the garbage.:)

Still shaking as to how close we came to a real big problem. I can't imagine using flammable paint on a fireplace shovel!:censored:
This is a PURE SAFETY ISSUE.

....I've been burning for over 30 years and yet every now and then I try to fit in a piece that will not fit.........running through the house to get rid of a burning piece of firewood has happened in the past!...

:laugh: :ices_rofl: Oh man, thanks for the laugh! I've done that a couple of times, too. There's a door a few steps away from my stove and there's a concrete walkway and gravel driveway outside. That's where mine go. Does make the house smell nice, though. :D

Check the box before you call. My mom went to buy a set of fireplace tools and on the box it said they were decorative only. Not actually meant to be used. You'd look kinda foolish complaining about how shoddy your decorative tools were ya know.

Box says handle may get hot while in use so these are no decorative. It says nothing about the stupid thing catching on fire!

Well now that you've broke in the shovel.........

How do I trust using the poker on a burning log or the tongs while grabbing a burning log these may also catch fire.

......be very careful where and how you store ashes. Improper disposal of ashes have been responsible for a lot of fires!

I have an ash bucket that goes outside after I use it I also snuff obvious embers with a spray bottle

I've been burning for over 30 years and yet every now and then I try to fit in a piece that will not fit.........running through the house to get rid of a burning piece of firewood has happened in the past! I keep a spray bottle of water nearby so I can put the piece out as I draw it out of the stove.

Great idea I will also put a bottle nearby

:laugh: :ices_rofl: Oh man, thanks for the laugh! I've done that a couple of times, too. There's a door a few steps away from my stove and there's a concrete walkway and gravel driveway outside. That's where mine go. Does make the house smell nice, though. :D

The house smelled real good,I had to open the windows and let my precious heat out!

I can only imagine it was made in China. I could see manufactuerers cheaping out.:)

Product of China: yes

The box only has a phone number for the distributor not for the manufacturer.
Consumer safety will be getting an email.

Well now that you've broke in the shovel.........

......be very careful where and how you store ashes. Improper disposal of ashes have been responsible for a lot of fires!

I've been burning for over 30 years and yet every now and then I try to fit in a piece that will not fit.........running through the house to get rid of a burning piece of firewood has happened in the past! I keep a spray bottle of water nearby so I can put the piece out as I draw it out of the stove.

Yup, my aim with the saw aint what the fire calls for.. wife just sit an laughts when i go running with the piece that would fit has to go back outside smoking and crackiling!:bang::bang:

I am glad to see I am not the only one who has had to run through a house with a burning piece of wood. We had a bunch of snow this past February and when it finally melted I had 3 or 4 logs out in the yard. I had thrown them out there to cool them after being on fire and not fitting in my stove. I always hope that the last one was the time I finally learned my lesson but every year I do it again.

The worst one was I somehow wedged a piece in the stove and couldn't get it out. I had to stay awake for a few extra hours waiting for it to burn in half so I could shove it it safely.

Hey RCR It just hit me like a ton of bricks,and man did it hurt, take the other tools outside and torch them to burn of cheap highly flammable paint. :)

Back