Siberian elm table

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
qbilder

qbilder

ArboristSite Guru
Found a dead, half rotted Siberian elm while ATVing last weekend. Took a short section of trunk & the first two limbs. Wednesday afternoon I milled up a few slabs from the trunk and a couple legs from the crotch areas of the limbs. Bolted a table together with lag bolts and plugged the holes with birds eye maple. A lil oil & it looked really nice. Got some work to do to the slab but should be putting on a finish pretty soon. Took me about 5 hours on an impulse to mill, sand & build the table. It's 5' long, 2' wide, & 29" tall. Have no clue what to do with it but it was fun putting it together.

DSC03040.jpg

DSC03044.jpg

DSC03047.jpg

DSC03045.jpg

DSC03048.jpg

mikeb1079

mikeb1079

ArboristSite Operative
very cool man. i dig the really rustic vibe. if you really don't have a place for it you could always try to sell it, an interesting piece like that really catches the eye. you might get good money for it.
just a thought.
cheers

qbilder

qbilder

ArboristSite Guru
Thanks yall :) I am not sure if i'll fill the voids or not. There's a .38 copper jacketed slug that I milled through & it would look cool if I could preserve it. Might fill with turquoise or coral & epoxy.

My wife is native Inupiat eskimo. She's in to the native arts. The stuff on the wall is an Apache ceremonial rattle. The basket is Apache, too, made of grass.

qbilder

qbilder

ArboristSite Guru
Thanks yall :) The flip flop legs were an experiment. I wasn't sure how it would look but tried it anyway. I bolted the legs on and laid the table top flat face down on the mill & then cut through the bottom of the legs to ensure they were plumb square & even to the table surface. Worked out well. No wobble or teeter, sits flat & solid with all of the feet completely touching. I'd estimate the weight to be around 130-150lbs. It's very dry & weathered wood. Won't even register on my meter that goes to 6%.

7oaks

7oaks

DRUGSTORE LOGGER
Thanks yall :) The flip flop legs were an experiment. I wasn't sure how it would look but tried it anyway. I bolted the legs on and laid the table top flat face down on the mill & then cut through the bottom of the legs to ensure they were plumb square & even to the table surface. Worked out well. No wobble or teeter, sits flat & solid with all of the feet completely touching. I'd estimate the weight to be around 130-150lbs. It's very dry & weathered wood. Won't even register on my meter that goes to 6%.

I too appreciate the original idea of flip-flopping the legs. I've also wondered about using the mill to level legs. You've given me the confidence to try. Thanks and a real nice piece of furniture from wood that would otherwise be wasted.