Sick Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pam Williams

Reaction score
I let my landscaper brick a patio for me in early June. The patio was installed over the roots of a very large tree. The landscaper assured me that the patio would not damage the tree. The tree is now looking sickly. The leaves are turning a brownish red color. What can I do to save my tree?

Pam Williams said:
I let my landscaper brick a patio for me in early June. The patio was installed over the roots of a very large tree. The landscaper assured me that the patio would not damage the tree. The tree is now looking sickly. The leaves are turning a brownish red color. What can I do to save my tree?
removed brink patio somehere else than under and around the tree.Landscaper are not arborist, do not rely on their advise. if you had any question ,call your local tree contractor before you decided to installed anything nearby the tree
Treeman67

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. The beginning of June was not such a long time ago for a large tree to start to decline after someone put bricks on the roots. If you could kill a tree by putting bricks on yhe roots I think that would be used to kill trees on purpose now and then . Never heard of that method myself. But what do I know I am only a landscaper. If he didn't hack out some major roots to put these bricks I would stay calm and call a professional arborist. Someone you can get from a recommendation. Possibly some gentleman form this site could assist you. In the mean time get some pictures up.

What kind of tree?

A “very large tree” is quite a subjective term.

Was heavy equipment used; and if so, how close to the tree was it?

What type of paving system was used?

Got pics?

I doubt very seriously that the patio is the problem.

Last edited:
Treeman67 said:
Landscaper are not arborist, do not rely on their advise.
Treeman67
Some of us might be.

Watch your tongue, son.

I won't bust you on your serious grammar and spelling errors.

With all due respect to the estimable Mr. Tio, most landscapers are tree-ignorant.

You've heard some good questions here--answering them, and posting pictures, would help to solve your tree's issues.

treeseer said:
With all due respect to the estimable Mr. Tio, most landscapers are tree-ignorant.

You've heard some good questions here--answering them, and posting pictures, would help to solve your tree's issues.

You are correct sir.

But to make such a sweeping statement such as was made, has a tendency to raise my Irish, as well as Southern dander.

I have worked with good old boys who did nothing BUT landscaping and if you were to talk to them, you would think they could not read a lick. . . but they see a sick tree and rattle of a whole list of latin words, describe the little bug or fungus and its entire life cycle, and give you a remedy for it.

I stand in awe of those guys.

My dad was one.

Back