Sidearm Recovery Time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister Twister

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anybody put a circulator pump on their Sidearm system to speed up recovery time? I have a 40 gallon hot water tank and after 2-3 showers the water gets luke warm. It takes hours forthe sidearm to get the tank hot again through natural convection. I think it would be much faster if there was a circulator pump just circulating the water through the sidearm and around the hot water tank. (Hate to solve problems by adding electrical devices kind of counter productive.) I also thought about adding a small plate exchanger to preheat water going into the water heater which would be a one time expense.

Just thought I would see if anyone would post some pictures or share what they done to improve their hot water temperature recovery. I am sure I am not alone with this issue.

:dizzy:

I haven't run mine down enough to find out...the water is so hot I hardly use any while showing so my tank goes a long ways...I have the short side arm from ebay with the small 1/4" tubes inside.
Don't laugh...but how about a second side arm? I've never seen it done but thought about it when I was going make my own sidearm...the fittings for 2" copper were so expensive I was going to use 1" outter and 1/2" inner and do a pair of them in parallel next to each other....ending up just buying one pre-made but a pair of them would speed up recovery time...just a thought and it saves the circulator your talking about.

Ya, I thought about pumping the water and about sidearm #2 decided a plate was the answer and in combination with my side arm I now have a system with no excuses.

Do you have any heat exchangers pulling off heat before the sidearm? My dealer told me to go to the sidearm first and with a 60 gal tank I have no problem.

A guy I work with had the same problem and he put in a 30 plate heat exchanger and that solved the problem.

A circulator pump would work to.

A guy I work with had the same problem and he put in a 30 plate heat exchanger and that solved the problem.

A circulator pump would work to.

After talking with my friend he said he tried a circulator pump and it did not work so well so he took it off. He is now using a 30 plate hx along with his sidearm and has never run out of hot water since.

I've got a larger version of a sidearm, actually a small rectangular tank with a copper coil inside. This system was supplied with a circulator pump and I never run out of hot water. I wouldn't go any other way now.

Sidearm photos

Here is what my installation looks like.

As you will see I went above the sidearm and back down to the T&P valve. I think the natural thermo-siphon will work better if I lower the sidearm below the tee at the T&P valve. What do you guys think?

That's a big loop to force the thirmosiphon through...why not turn the T horizontal and at least come in straight to the T? Put the union between the arm and T and a 90 on the top of the arm? It would space the arm an T apart a bit more, not sure how your piping will like that but man, that is one big loop to push heat up and back down :)

Here is what my installation looks like.

As you will see I went above the sidearm and back down to the T&P valve. I think the natural thermo-siphon will work better if I lower the sidearm below the tee at the T&P valve. What do you guys think?

I think I would try that first and see what happens. It might be just a little to high for proper siphon flow.

what you need to add is a tempering valve to your water heater. The tempering valve is piped between your cold supply water and the hot water that leaves the water heater. It has an adjustable thermostat built into it. It adds some cold water to the hot water and you control how hot your water to your faucet is. It makes your hot water last a lot longer and prevents people from getting scalded. Mines a honeywell brand I bought from my central boiler dealer. I've also seen one at Menard's that they sell.

what you need to add is a tempering valve to your water heater. The tempering valve is piped between your cold supply water and the hot water that leaves the water heater. It has an adjustable thermostat built into it. It adds some cold water to the hot water and you control how hot your water to your faucet is. It makes your hot water last a lot longer and prevents people from getting scalded. Mines a honeywell brand I bought from my central boiler dealer. I've also seen one at Menard's that they sell.

I have a Honeywell also just never put it in. But I can't see the difference it would make because you adjust the temperature at the faucet all the same. Just adding the cold at a different spot. (Does everyone agree?)I bought it because I had the same idea you do but after thinking it through it is the same thing but we like to use extra hot water once in a while for rinsing a dish and washing white clothes.

November, ITN,

I am going to modify my plumbing this weekend I will let you know how it goes. I looked at a friends install and his sidearm has a one foot loop on top and still works but he can also run it down. I will be the guinea pig and try re-plumbing mine first. Thanks for all the constructive comments got to love this site ! ! !

I have a Honeywell also just never put it in. But I can't see the difference it would make because you adjust the temperature at the faucet all the same. Just adding the cold at a different spot. (Does everyone agree?)I bought it because I had the same idea you do but after thinking it through it is the same thing but we like to use extra hot water once in a while for rinsing a dish and washing white clothes.

When my son was just a little'un he was getting a bath in the sink. Just a moment's distraction for my wife and he turned on the hot water. Has about a 3" round scar on his ankle to this day. THAT'S the difference.
That said, and since I no longer have little ones around, we also prefer the hotter water at the tap. I do have a mixer valve installed, but I leave it set at the highest setting. If I sell the house or circumstances change, I will set it lower. So it boils down to personal circumstances, preferences and calculated risk, I guess.

November, ITN,

I am going to modify my plumbing this weekend I will let you know how it goes. I looked at a friends install and his sidearm has a one foot loop on top and still works but he can also run it down. I will be the guinea pig and try re-plumbing mine first. Thanks for all the constructive comments got to love this site ! ! !

Good luck with that. I would say if that don't fix your problem I would put in a plate hx. I bought mine off ebay alot cheaper than the local dealer here.

Back