Silky Hayauchi 21 ft saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrewCutLLC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Im and landscaper and were are triing to keep the guys on the ground and not on ladders.

How is the sikly hayauchi saw? Anyone used it, pro cons, I was going to go with yet another cheap pole pruner, saw combo.. but we go through like 3 a year so im ready to buy something with quality.

I was looking into the same saw. I came across the newest Silky pole saw, the HAYATE. It is 1' shorter but I guess it is much improved upon. It has better locking and is heavier duty. The best price I have found is $250.

CrewCutLLC said:
Hey Im and landscaper and were are triing to keep the guys on the ground and not on ladders.

How is the sikly hayauchi saw? Anyone used it, pro cons, I was going to go with yet another cheap pole pruner, saw combo.. but we go through like 3 a year so im ready to buy something with quality.

I got one this summer 21' - I love it!!! I used to have a Stihl one, the Silky is better.
I've used it from the ground and up in the tree, the blade cuts like a hot knife through butter.
You can adjust the poles separately to get weight either at the saw end or the handle end.
I had one problem, my second pole started to split where the locking button comes through the hole, but I contacted Silky USA through the sponsor forum on this site and I had a new pole sent within a week (to Bermuda)
Next to my Zubat it's one of my most versatile tools, I don't think you would regret getting one.
I got mine from Foresty Suppliers Inc. for $170ish.

silkys are nice, but for durability you can't beat jameson fiberglass poles, I keep three 8' sections and and a good quality polesaw head. the silkys are lighter but if you drop a chunk on em and bend or dent the pole it's toast, not to mention they are CONDUCTIVE.

another vote for jamison poles. hard to beat for durability!

046 said:
another vote for jamison poles. hard to beat for durability!
Durability is one factor, usefulness another. 8' sections are a pain to take on and off. Jameson's telescoping poles are nice until you pull with them and mess up the cam. The others telescope and can handle some pulling ok that's why they are worth more.

I used a friend's Hayauchi and I wasn't that impressed with it, when I factored in the cost. His climber yanked the section's apart when pulling on a hanger. With my Jameson sectional poles, I can pull as hard as I can and it doesn't come apart. I believe the instructions that come with the Hayauchi say not to pull with it.

Thanks Koa I stand corrected. The search continues for a telescoping saw that can pull--the impossible dream?

Jamison 8' poles here too. In fact, as rough as we are with them, the first thing usually shot is the little lock that snaps the poles together (usually because they get put away without being closed and get bent out of shape.) But a piece of bicycle innertube and they are almost as good as new.

I have the Jamison also. It is a good combo, however be careful when you pull to hard. It was represented to be able to hang off of but in real life, not quite. I asked a rep at last years expo and he said he never heard of the cams failing. I've gone through 2 of them. Its nice to know I'm not the only one. Pete

Where can I find more information on the other kinds of saws? I was mostly looking in wesspur and was sold on the sectional pruner saw combos but the silky looked nice.

Just triing to get something that we can pull limbs too as with storm damage we need to clean up the canopy sometimes.

If you are tearing up 3 homeowner models per year then I'd stay away prom the telescopingsaws and go with sectional fiberglass poles. Jameson ARE better than the Marvin poles(better ferrules). With due respect to the eight foot fans I suggest that you buy 6foot poles-adding 8feet can make what was too short awkwardly long-6 feet at a time works better. Seperate pruner and saw heads are really best. On the sawhead you have a wide choice of blades.-I reccommend the Fanno Mondo blade and the 13" ARS.

Stumper said:
If you are tearing up 3 homeowner models per year then I'd stay away prom the telescopingsaws and go with sectional fiberglass poles. Jameson ARE better than the Marvin poles(better ferrules). With due respect to the eight foot fans I suggest that you buy 6foot poles-adding 8feet can make what was too short awkwardly long-6 feet at a time works better. Seperate pruner and saw heads are really best. On the sawhead you have a wide choice of blades.-I reccommend the Fanno Mondo blade and the 13" ARS.

Yea I was thinking separate heads and like 3 or 4 6 ft poles. I also like the fanno blade. But where can you buy a jameson ?

Here is what i was thinking

Quantity Product Unit Price Item Total
Pole Saw Blade Tri-Edge with Hooked Tip - Same 13” cutting edge with the Tri-Edge, but has a hook on the end. Stops your blade from pulling through your cuts. Manufactured by Fanno Saw Works.
.: 40304 $20.00 $20.00
6' Landscape Pole - A light duty option of Jameson's fiberglass pole collection. Interchangeable with other Jameson poles.
.: 40137 $24.00 $96.00
Corona Pruner Head with Jameson Adapter - This pruner head has 1 3/4 in cutting ability. With the Jameson adopter, gives a quick clip and the head is firmly attached to the pole. Manufactured by Corona.
.: 40206 $89.00 $89.00
Sawhead with Adapter - Add a blade and clip into your pole and your ready to go! Manufactured by Jameson.
.: 40201 $22.00 $22.00
Enter Promotional Code Here
Then click the "Update Subtotal" button. $0.00
Subtotal $227.00

I copy and pasted from fresco. Still kinda expensive but It might work for me.
Or I go to wesspur.com and get their combo set.

I'd go with a marvin pruner head and get a 8 or 10' section dedicated to being a pole pruner, take your pruner cord and hose clamp it onto the pole, and then wrap it with electrical tape.( tie an overhand knot in the cord every foot) . those cheap landscape poles will be worn out in a year my jamesons have lasted over five years of heavy use and still in good condition

Do you guys get Wolf telescopic poles, saws and attachments over there? Have found them very good. Can pull preeety hard on em too!
Tried ARS- crap. Havent tried the Silky pole yet but love my Zubat!

Trev

Trevmcrev, Yes the Wolf poles are available at Lowes Home Improvement stores,

Crewcut, The Fanno hook blade cut sgreat...and bends and kinks easily-I don't recommend it for a crew. The Fanno Mondo is double thick and doesn't bend like a pretzel. IF you want a hook there is a universal ARS blade with hook thta is much less kink prone than the Fanno Hook. You can get Jameson poles from Sherrilltree, Bailey's or just about any Arborist supplier. WeSpur undoubtably has the regular Jameson poles also. Having been down this road I would strongly suggest that you not try to save a few dollars buying economy poles-They will work(in fact I bought some Seymour Smith poles 15 years ago that were the best pole I eve owned) but most of the cheaper stuff won't last like the Standard Jamesons. Go ahead and spend a few bucks more per pole and live without the frustrations and regrets. FWIW, I prefer to have my pruner and saw heads permanently mounted on a head pole rather than snapping them onto the topmost extebnsion via an adaptor-a fixed head pole eliminates one joint, makes less wiggle and makes them easier to keep up with. A head pole for each plus 3 six foot extensions make for a great complete set.-Both tools can be in use at the same time and you can reach a lot of work.

Latest posts

Back