Silvey... Class Act and Great Customer Service!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wet1

Addicted to ArboristSite
I saw a Silvey grinder on CL a few weeks back. I didn't know much about it so I called Silvey and told them I was interested in buying a used grinder they had manufactured. Surprisingly, they were willing to talk to me at length about the grinder (usually I get rushed off the phone by most companies when they realize there's no direct sale to be had).

Well, I bought that Silvey Swing Arm a couple of weeks ago. In transit a part was broken due to poor packaging from the seller. It wasn't a big or really expensive part, but regardless it needed to be replaced for the grinder to be completely functional.

I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to use the grinder, but knowing I will in the coming weeks I thought I'd call and order the part today. I called Silvey and explained what had happened. The gentleman took my info and said he'd get the part right out to me. As we were about to hang up, it occurred to me that I hadn't given him any payment info, so I said "wait, I need to pay you for the part"... he said, "don't worry about it, I'll get it right out to you, there is no charge."

I buy a lot of stuff and deal with many companies on a regular basis and I can tell you from first hand experience that customer service these days is usually 'fair' at best. It was a real pleasure talking to someone on the other end of the phone who actually cared and wanted to help rather than give a short answer and shout "next person".

Kudos to Silvey... top of the line products and customer service to match! :clap:
Thank you Silvey!

Last edited:
blackoak

blackoak

Addicted to ArboristSite
I saw a Silvey grinder on CL a few weeks back. I didn't know much about it so I called Silvey and told them I was interested in buying a used grinder they had manufactured. Surprisingly, they were willing to talk to me at length about the grinder (usually I get rushed off the phone by most companies when they realize there's no direct sale to be had).

Well, I bought that Silvey Swing Arm a couple of weeks ago. In transit a part was broken due to poor packaging from the seller. It wasn't a big or really expensive part, but regardless it needed to be replaced for the grinder to be completely functional.

I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to use the grinder, but knowing I will in the coming weeks I thought I'd call and order the part today. I called Silvey and explained what had happened. The gentleman took my info and said he'd get the part right out to me. As we were about to hang up, it occurred to me that I hadn't given him any payment info, so I said "wait, I need to pay you for the part"... he said, "don't worry about it, I'll get it right out to you, there is no charge."

I buy a lot of stuff and deal with many companies on a regular basis and I can tell you from first hand experience that customer service these days is usually 'fair' at best. It was a real pleasure talking to someone on the other end of the phone who actually cared and wanted to help rather than give a short answer and shout "next person".

Kudos to Silvey... top of the line products and customer service to match! :clap:
Thank you Silvey!

You sure don't see service like that much any more. That is great customer service. Most places you call if you have a problem, it takes 20 minutes before you can even talk to a human. Please push 1 for Spanish, or 2 for English.

Wet1

Addicted to ArboristSite
I guess they didn't like you as much. :D

For what I paid for my Silvey, I'm not going to complain. OTOH, I would not have paid full price for a new one.

Wet1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Most places you call if you have a problem, it takes 20 minutes before you can even talk to a human. Please push 1 for Spanish, or 2 for English.

My A.D.D. kicks in while I'm listening to those menus and I almost always miss the selection I was waiting to hear... then I have to go through the misery twice, sometimes even three times. :cry:

Nailgunner

Nailgunner

ArboristSite Operative
:agree2:
This is the thing with proper pro tools. They're designed for a completely different market to homeowner/DIY gear. design, build quality, serviceability, support, durability and power are in a completely different class. Or should be if they want to stay in business.

God of ArboristSite
you are going to LOVE your swing arm Silvey!

setup is bit tricky... make sure to request a manual from Silvey... that is if they have not already sent it.

having nice sharp square chains all the time, will spoil you in a hurry!

Bill G

Bill G

ArboristSite King

setup is bit tricky... make sure to request a manual from Silvey... that is if they have not already sent it.

I do not think Brad bought a swing arm.

Bill

God of ArboristSite
hmm... was referring to OP..

one can find amazing deals on craigslist! the really good deals don't last but a few hours. found my Silvey round grinder on CL for dirt cheap.

it's MUCH harder to find a deal for any square grinder!
found my Simington 450 square grinder here on AS for $250. without a doubt one of my best purchases. thanks again to those on AS who helped me set it up!

someone correct me if I'm wrong... Simington 450 is the design, Silvey Swingarm is based of off. this design has been around for a long time.

Yes.... Silvey's prices are hefty... a small specialized company has to make a decent profit to stay in business. don't know about anyone else... but I was sure glad to get support for my old Silvey grinder. Silvey has one of the best customer service of any company around!

silvey4.JPG

I do not think Brad bought a swing arm.

Bill

I saw a Silvey grinder on CL a few weeks back. I didn't know much about it so I called Silvey and told them I was interested in buying a used grinder they had manufactured. ~

Well, I bought that Silvey Swing Arm a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:

Wet1

Addicted to ArboristSite

I'm really looking forward to converting over to square. My grinder looks like it's in great sharp (other than the item I have to replace that was damaged in shipment) and seems to function fine. I've been so busy that I really haven't had a chance to sit down and really examine how chains are sharpened with it. I see how the basics are suppose to work, but I have no idea how to properly set the adjustments and how the wheel should be dressed. Silvey said they are sending me operational info, but he mentioned that it was only a small piece of literature and that it wasn't very detailed.

I have a lot going on right now so it will be a couple of weeks before I can sit down and spend some time with the grinder. If I have questions, and I'm sure I will, I'll hit you up with those seemingly stupid questions. :D

I can't wait to be square! ;)

Wet1

Addicted to ArboristSite
hmm... was referring to OP..

one can find amazing deals on craigslist! the really good deals don't last but a few hours. found my Silvey round grinder on CL for dirt cheap.

it's MUCH harder to find a deal for any square grinder!
found my Simington 450 square grinder here on AS for $250. without a doubt one of my best purchases. thanks again to those on AS who helped me set it up!

someone correct me if I'm wrong... Simington 450 is the design, Silvey Swingarm is based of off. this design has been around for a long time.

Yes.... Silvey's prices are hefty... a small specialized company has to make a decent profit to stay in business. don't know about anyone else... but I was sure glad to get support for my old Silvey grinder. Silvey has one of the best customer service of any company around!

silvey4.JPG

I found my grinder on CL, but it wasn't listed as a Silvey, or even a square grinder for that matter. A gentleman on the west coast was selling it and had it listed as a "pro quality chain grinder", no manufacture name or anything. He said it had no name or numbers on it, but he knew it was a good grinder. In the ad he included a picture, which of course I recognized as a Silvey Swing Arm. The ad was a few weeks old when I found it, but I contacted him anyway since I figured he might still have it since the ad was so vague. Come to find out the grinder belonged to his father (who was a logger) and he had just passed. A little bargaining and I picked up the Silvey, a new 32" bar, three new matching loops of square ground chain, and a hand full of new wedges for $220 shipped to my door. Lets just say I was quite happy with the deal and the seller was happy to sell the grinder after having no activity on the ad, plus knowing his fathers tools were going to a good home were they will be used and cared for. :)

Yes, my Silvey looks very much like a blue version of your Simington, so I suspect you're correct that one was a copy of the other. I'm sure you'd have no issues using the Silvey version as they look nearly identical.

As you mentioned, a small specialized company in a niche market has to really take care of their customers if they want to remain profitable and stay in business. I must admit it was a nice change dealing with them compared to the traditional crap customer service I've grown use to...

Last edited: