Simon sez, I needed sharper chains (square grinder) learning curve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am on the slippery slope down the rat hole of square grinding.
I spent the $$$$ to get the simington grinder.

If some of you more callused and experienced gents could possibly help a buddy out with some tips, tricks, ideas, and so forth on setting up, adjusting, using, and what to look for etc. It would be MOST appreciated.

I made me a little loop of Stihl square ground factory stuff as a "guide" and have been trying to match the angles with the simington. It ain't easy.

This whole thing came back to light a few weeks ago where I had found a remaining loop of half skip 28" that I slung onto a 064 with a 8 pin spocket.... I had forgotten how well it cuts.... Rooster tails of chips 20 ft away :)

pictures!IMG-0073.JPG IMG-0074.JPG

Buddy said "I suppose you have that all figured out by now"
I replied, "check with me in about a year on this"

What I learned is that this is gonna be a 3 dimensional adjustment process. Ok, Once it is "set" it can be repeated on the same chain. I also see that there is NO tolerance for a dirty wheel, it will heat a tooth in a blink. This is gonna be fun, and I figure that once I get this "down" I can market it as a option up here for sharpening chain with a reasonable "up charge" that covers the time and consumables running the machine.

pictures!View attachment 764486 View attachment 764487

Buddy said "I suppose you have that all figured out by now"
I replied, "check with me in about a year on this"

What I learned is that this is gonna be a 3 dimensional adjustment process. Ok, Once it is "set" it can be repeated on the same chain. I also see that there is NO tolerance for a dirty wheel, it will heat a tooth in a blink. This is gonna be fun, and I figure that once I get this "down" I can market it as a option up here for sharpening chain with a reasonable "up charge" that covers the time and consumables running the machine.
The chain you did a good job on yesterday will puzzle you today. Sometimes you have to walk away, try again later.

Latest posts

Back