Skidding Ash logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slabmaster

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I decided to skid some ash logs up to the barn today so they would be closer to where i'll stack them as the winter seems to be coming early this year.These will be for more beams.I use an axle from an old lawnmower with wheels so the atv can get them out easy.I do have some larger ones that i will have to mill in the woods though as the atv can't handle those.I did start snowing a little as i got the last one in.I will be milling some of these with the mini mill and will post pic. of that as well.:)

Last edited:
You can pull a nice size log with that setup and little wheeler! Not bad at all. How do you get the log onto the axle, log jack style cant hook?

I lift it over the tire and set it there by hand.I have no trouble lifting one end,but they are heavy.Anything i can't lift over the tire is too big for this set-up anyway.I'm a big boy and 57 years old but have learned how to lift heavy logs with practice.I do know my limits though.:) A cant hook jack style would work if need,just to much for me to carry around.

Last edited:
I lift it over the tire and set it there by hand.I have no trouble lifting one end,but they are heavy.Anything i can't lift over the tire is too big for this set-up anyway.I'm a big boy and 57 years old but have learned how to lift heavy logs with practice.I do know my limits though.:) A cant hook jack style would work if need,just to much for me to carry around.

Sounds like you and I have worked to the same results!!!!

Now we have reinvented the wheel again!!

If I could do it over again, the same learning experiences and curve...I sure as hell would....worth every step.

Kevin

Ah, the power lift, I didn't see that comming, but I like it. I like to take logs and roll them end over end. I find it to be a great all around work out, gets peoples attention too, lol.

Log arches rule, now.......

Arch.jpg

Most of my help is my 90yr old father, and on occasion my two sons.
Smaller fence post juniper.
004-2.jpg

Kevin

Hey Mark,

Nice little set-up i had a simular rig before I went to the tractor...

Mark

I have many tractors and a backhoe but they can't go where my atv has to go to retrieve them or i would use them. I even use it to drag my deer out with.That little atv was the best 600.00 i ever spent.

Latest posts

Back