Skidsteer Gurus?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craftybigdog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a Bobcat T-300 and was looking at getting a log splitter are the ones for the skidsteers any good and are there cycle times ok?

And if so could you recommend some-thank you!

skid steers and log splitters

Hey guys I have a Bobcat T-300 and was looking at getting a log splitter are the ones for the skidsteers any good and are there cycle times ok?

It all depends on how much wood you have, how much time you have to pick up split wood and if your wood(blocks) are a mess piled all over the ground.

The big thing in any purchase is quality; when you start looking seriously look at the welds, look at the welds , look at all the welds including the one on the mounting frame. Do not forget that you will be playing Zorro moving and pushing broken wood and blocks with that piece of metal.

If the hydraulic couplers are not aeroquip or parker look for them(the maufacturer) on the internet. The couplers and hoses have work pressure ratings and burst pressure type rating printed on them.

Be sure to check the pressure ratings and flow ratings on the accessory(attachment)valve for your t-300 to make sure the working pressures are compatable.

If you can see the name/builder plate on the cylinder that will tell you a world of information as well.

Ask the splitter builder if it is possible to obtain a cylinder with a stop tube on the stuffing box side of the cylinder as original equipment-it prevents the rod from bending(flexing) under pressure and creating a pressure point agains the stuffing box which can and will leak. If they tell you no walk away!!!!!!!!!

As fpr me I am very happy with my splitter and the log lift and table grate besides my back is not very young anymore.

Now that I have brushed my teeth with gun powder and shot my mouth off I will let other learned members offer their insights.

Leon

:cheers: :agree2: :chainsaw:

Generally splitter attachments are cheaper than an stand alone set up with a briggs or honda. I dont know in the case of bobcat. Its probably more fuel efficient that my tractor, too, BUT....

I look at it this way, buy a stand alone set up, they are more efficient on fuel and you arent putting wear and tear on a $30,000 machine. I think you would be ahead in the long run.

I use mine to quarter large logs and that is it. Mine has a 5" piston so the cycle times are not all that great even at 19 gal/min. A smaller piston would get you better cycle times even when idled down but you would have a loss in tonnage.

I was given a 3 point splitter off a tractor. I simply put new hoses on it (old ones were rotten anyway) and put flat faced Bobcat couplers on the end. Bought a valve w/ detent and away you go. Had about $200 in the setup. Only problem is you have to be in the cab. I open the flow, tape the thumb switch to the left (right will work too) and use the valve. Works for now.

I just got mine and haven't used it yet. It's mounted upside down. I'm only going to use it to quarter big rounds. I wouldn;t want to split a lot of wood with a skid steer like that. It's not hard on them to sit there and run but it would sure make the hours go up. If you plan to split a lot you could loose a lot of resale off your machine.

Scott

Generally splitter attachments are cheaper than an stand alone set up with a briggs or honda. I dont know in the case of bobcat. Its probably more fuel efficient that my tractor, too, BUT....

I look at it this way, buy a stand alone set up, they are more efficient on fuel and you arent putting wear and tear on a $30,000 machine. I think you would be ahead in the long run.

You better add another 20K to the price of this machine. This is a serious bobcat!! And a thirsty one also, it likes its fuel; I dont think you would come out ahead with a splitter on this machine. But if you bought a regular splitter, you can always use your bobcat bucket to catch the split pieces as they fall off the splitter as they are being split. I do it all of the time and it works great.

I guess you guys are right on some aspects. For me though my Bobcat 773 is available. It just idles without consuming too much fuel. It is a 97 model and fully depreciated so 20-30 extra hours per year doesn't hurt my feelings. It doesn't owe me anything. Soooooooo, it will continue to do my splitting. Valid points though if you just spent $30-50k on a brand new machine.

You better add another 20K to the price of this machine. This is a serious bobcat!! And a thirsty one also, it likes its fuel; I dont think you would come out ahead with a splitter on this machine. But if you bought a regular splitter, you can always use your bobcat bucket to catch the split pieces as they fall off the splitter as they are being split. I do it all of the time and it works great.

well, you get my point. I just know most bobcats start around $30,000. I would way rather put the hours on a <$2000 splitter.

I guess you guys are right on some aspects. For me though my Bobcat 773 is available. It just idles without consuming too much fuel. It is a 97 model and fully depreciated so 20-30 extra hours per year doesn't hurt my feelings. It doesn't owe me anything. Soooooooo, it will continue to do my splitting. Valid points though if you just spent $30-50k on a brand new machine.

whatever works! The main thing is having fun:greenchainsaw:

I bought a splitter from skid steer solutions I believe it has a 4" cylinder, for my Ingersoll Rand Tlb with bobcat quick connections. It works ok. One thing that is convient with the loader mounter splitter is it is portable I can take it anywhere my all wheel tractor can go. I can also adjust the height of the splitter for more comefort for my back or 8" off the ground to roll the big rounds up on to it. My flow rate is about 16 gpm. They make a monster splitter called the ax with a 6" cylinder. they make a screw splitter to go on the front for large rounds. If you have large rounds that you don't want to handle an upside down splitter would work well for splitting and picking up the rounds. I adapted a screw splitter to work off of my backhoe. Some of the skid steer splitters are less expensive than a stand alone splitters and don't require much maintenance. I believe my tractor with a 46 hp kubota diesel engine used 1/2 a gallon an hour. David

t-300 is a monster. i wouldn't run that big bastard for splitting, no way. something smaller like a 450 or a 463 maybe but you probably consume quite a bit of fuel at idle.

nice machine though.

Latest posts

Back