skidsteer mulcher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neatsite

Reaction score
I cut under distribution lines and have been using the cut and chip method. No herbicides allowed. I'm considering purchasing a skidsteer mulcher to clear the nonrocky sites. I want to chew out the roots and stumps (max. 3-4"d.) so regeneration is minimized and increase the value of my service. Not having experience in this, I have several questions.
Who makes the best equipment and who should I stay away from?
Would the 92 hp. Bobcat, for example, have enough power?
The videos always show the equipment working with new bits. In clean earth how long can I expect before replacement or sharpening?
I noticed that used equipment comes up for sale at 2500 hours.With all the shuttling and full rpm is this the expected life before major breakdowns are expected? Would it be a mistake to go used to get a feel and then adjust on a future purchase?
I have more questions if the above answers don't make my plans nonfeasible.
Any info is appreciated.

I was a utility forester for a while, doing distribution lines and some transmissions. The operator I know very well used a tracked cat skid steer. Im sure its way over 2500 hrs. To answer your question yes the cat got used a ton, but that was because the operator could make areas look like a walking path. The head would last a while but there seemed to always be hydro problems due to vibration. We had 2 giraffes, a hydroaxe and a bobcat skidder and they could fly through work. The skidder will save a ton of time and effort and with it you may be called on storm damage due to how fast you can blow through brush. hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back