Smily face!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOD

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
..in a big Pin oak.

Smile1.jpg

Now it's a cookie to hang on the wall.

Smile2.jpg

The rest of the log.

Smile4.jpg

The Husky above the Stihl, just the way it should be.

Smile3.jpg

The big pin oak split pretty easy once I got it quartered. The 395 (thanks again carvinmark) makes quick work of pretty much anything in it's way as long as it isn't metal or concrete. The 460 (not mine) is a strong runner but not as smooth as my 575, but I think its got more bottom end grunt. Something is up with the oiler, its not putting much out, and its downright scary with a 16" bar.

I want to get the rest of it cut up, but looks like snow on the way for the rest of the week, bah!

Yeah I saw it Monday and was like, wow, gotta cut that off and keep it! But it was really a 395 job so I came back today with the big saw and had at it. The 395 really blocks and quarters those big rounds nice, almost as fast as a crosscut.

Cool,are you going to leave it au natural or coat it with poly or something?:)

Probably natural. I thought about cleaning the face of it up with a belt sander, but I think that would ruin the natural look of it. The log has been laying there for 2+ years, so I can't imagine cracking will get much worse than it already is.

Also, the rest of that pin oak is nice, nice stuff with very little rot, which makes me wonder why it was cut down.

Yes it's a real strong runner. The first cookie only took about 45 seconds, but in the second cut I think I hit something, I saw a spark, and then it didn't cut as good, so I think I need to touch up the chain a bit. The joys of cutting wood in town.

Back