Snow melt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
imlanceurnot

imlanceurnot

Is there anyone out there that has set up there outdoor wood furnace to snow melt their driveway? I am looking for any information on the best way to set up for snow melt? How to best install the Pex tubing under a to-be paved driveway that is on a steep incline. I am going to replace my driveway due to washout under the asphalt, so I do not want to use packed sand around the Pex.

Any ideas??

I was also told that to pave a drivway with Pex installed you need to work from the streen in, would this not leave tire marks in the asphalt due to the trucks running over it time and time again??

jcappe

jcappe

ArboristSite Guru
Link

Here's a link to what you are talking about, I remember seeing it when I was looking for different OWB's. I don't have it nor do I know anybody that has it but it sure would be nice. http://www.heat-link.com/products-snowmelt.php I don't know if this gives you any ideas. Seems pricey but most of the times convenience is pricey.

Last edited:
imlanceurnot

imlanceurnot

Thank you

Thank you for your reply and info. As there is great information there, I am looking to do the snow melt myself and this web page is more for finding a contractor. I am looking for a product that will go over a stable base of material, allow me to lay the Pex down and pave over so that no material will wash away under the asphalt. Once again my driveway is on a steep incline.

dingeryote

dingeryote

Blueberry Baron
imlnceurnot,

Check out Geo-textile to stop erosion issues.

www.fixsoil.com/

A bed of geo textile covered with a 5-6" layer of crushed concrete absolutely will not wash out, and will not sink into loose ground or swamp.

The effect is the same as a snowshoe, and provides one heck of a bed for asphalt.

My farm drive is a bit over 900' of sand like you would find at the beach with a couple little hills. It used to wash out in the slightest rain and get rutted up.

With just the geo-textile and 6-8" of crushed concrete, the road is solid enough that a D-8, several excavators, and multiple trips weekly by heavy equipment won't leave ruts.

My NRCS Rep ran his drive through a swampy pocket on Geo-textile and it has not sunk or washed out in 6 years now. The same pocket used to eat 12 yds of gravel each year.

The best part is if you have a back blade and a tractor, you can do the work yourself, and then have the asphalt guys adjust it for thier needs.

It's also good for underlaying a lawn on slopes.;)

I can't see any problems running your Pex in the gravel or crushed concrete under the asphalt as it would eliminate any ruts on the Geo-textile.

Best of luck to ya!!
Dingeryote

Last edited:
imlanceurnot

imlanceurnot

Thank You

Thank you,

There is some great info. there. Would you know how this product might work with a snow melt product. It is already recommended that asphalt be the last product used with an hydronic melt system, would this product add even more insulation?

dingeryote

dingeryote

Blueberry Baron
lance,

I couldn't tell you first hand, as I have never run the melt system.

However, the fabric has gotta provide some insulation over just bare ground.

For the details on running a Geo textile drive/road, the NRCS has lotsa good scoop under "Heavy use area ammendments".

Basicly it's the Govt. engineers designs that are approved for HUA cost share programs to controll erosion on farms aka soil conservation.

I'll see if I can scare up a link.

For info on insulating propertys, just call one of the Geo-textile manufacturers.
They may have a product that is designed for your application. I dunno.

Merry Christmas!
Dingeryote

Latest posts