So do you think I can haul a cord?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WoodDoctor, you give me hope. I have been pretty disappointed with how squatted my F150 looks with a 1/3 of a cord onboard. If I could get up to a 1/2 cord that would save me 5 or 6 trips a year.

Go get an extra leaf put in your truck. I added one in mine nad it made a huge difference. 1/2 cord no problem with no side boards.

Go get an extra leaf put in your truck. I added one in mine nad it made a huge difference. 1/2 cord no problem with no side boards.

Good idea, did not know that was possible. Would love to avoid buying a trailer, but 3 loads per cord is a pain.

Just had a leaf added to the rear of my 2000 chevy 1/2 ton. Cost me about $200, parts and labor. Call your local spring shops.

Just had a leaf added to the rear of my 2000 chevy 1/2 ton. Cost me about $200, parts and labor. Call your local spring shops.

If you do the work yourself it is cheaper. When I still had my F150 I was looking at adding an extra leaf. I could have gotten the parts for $100 and would have done the install myself.

My F250 came with rear airbags, but our wood is lighter so I "almost" don't even need them, but at times they are nice to have!

I can do it myself (with supervision from a buddy that is a Ford Tech), but the price I was seeing is $250ish for 1. I'll have to call around to some local shops

Don't waste your time adding a leaf. Buy a set of Timbrens for your truck... it will carry a lot more than adding a leaf and will ride like stock when unloaded (unlike adding a leaf). The great part is there's nothing to adjust (unlike air bags), they are <$200, and take about 20 minutes for any Joe to install. I've tried adding leafs, air bags, and Timbrens, the Timbrens are w/o a doubt the best on the market.

Timbrens and high load rated tires are about the best money you can put in a truck that will be carring heavy loads...

Here's a pic of my truck loaded up almost full with green white oak (a little red in there too). There's close to a cord on there, plus a floor jack, 4 saws, and 30 gals of fuel in the tank. Notice the truck is still sitting almost completely level with the Timbrens installed, the back is probably only down about 3" from stock height.
Loadofwood.jpg

I've had almost 7000 lbs of stone in the back several times, looks about the same.

Last edited:
Don't waste your time adding a leaf. Buy a set of Timbrens for your truck... it will carry a lot more than adding a leaf and will ride like stock when unloaded (unlike adding a leaf). The great part is there's nothing to adjust (unlike air bags), they are <$200, and take about 20 minutes for any Joe to install. I've tried adding leafs, air bags, and Timbrens, the Timbrens are w/o a doubt the best on the market.

Timbrens and high load rated tires are about the best money you can put in a truck that will be carring heavy loads...

Here's a pic of my truck loaded up almost full with green white oak (a little red in there too). There's close to a cord on there, plus a floor jack, 4 saws, and 30 gals of fuel in the tank. Notice the truck is still sitting almost completely level with the Timbrens installed, the back is probably only down about 3" from stock height.
Loadofwood.jpg

I've had almost 7000 lbs of stone in the back several times, looks about the same.

Back when I built a stone wall in my yard 5 years ago, I was hauling rocks across town from a construction site. Don't know what the weight might've been but a few of those stones I swear contained more than 16 ounces to the pound. I take it a bit easier on my Ranger now that it's passed the 150k mark.

BTW, anyone here ever blow out a back windshield? I can't positively saw as I did. One night last winter I went out to the truck and it was all spiderwebbed. My first thought (poor lighting) was frost. When I went to scrape it off, the windshield collapsed in a shower of glass bits.

I'm honestly still not sure of the cause. I've narrowed it down to a load of wood I transported 2 months prior that might have caused some unseen damage worsened by the cold, a vindictive ex (that would be a helluva grudge - married 6.5 yrs, or space aliens.

Thanks Wet1, will have to look in to Timbrens

Trust me, you'll think it was the best money you ever spent and you'll wonder why you didn't get them before now. :cool:

BTW, make sure you have good tires with a heavy load rating... they are what's keeping your butt safe. I sure feel a LOT safer knowing I have "E" rated tires on my truck. And don't forget your brakes! :)

Back