So should I go or should I go (same week in March)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

These two events take place over my Spring Break in March. Which one should I go to?

• TCI Expo Spring in Sacramento, California

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • ALCA Student Career Days in Columbus, Ohio

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

Nickrosis

Manned by Boderators
Reaction score
TCI Expo Spring in Sacramento (near redwoods, great location, would be TCI #7 for me)
Tree Care Industry Assocation
http://www.treecareindustry.org

ALCA Student Career Days in Columbus (700+ students, competitions, something I've never done)
Associated Landscape Contractors of America
http://www.alca.org

Any experience with the ALCA events? Do they rock?

Nickrosis

California in March sounds a lot better than Columbus.......However you being a student(and not forever), big cheese of campus and all maybe you might get something more out of the latter....Your call.

Since you are an active SSA member, I think you should be going to the student events.

Recruiting more members and garnering more recognition in the landscape industry.

Nick-
I went to the Student Career Days in Ft. Collins in 2001. Had a blast!

Of course part of the reason for that is it was myself and two buddies, no advisor(s)! We borrowed the hort departments digital camera (for posterity's sake), and kept two sets of tapes, one of the daily events, one of the nightly events. Purdue people only saw the DAY tape!:D:D

One thing you will find there is students from EVERYWHERE! From (The Peoples Republik of) Kalifornia to New York. And everywhere in between.

'01 was the first time anyone from PU had been to the ALCA Career Days, we had just started the chapter the November before. Even with only three of us, we didn't finish last!:) We didn't intend to finish first, we went with the expectation of showing up, letting our presence be known, and having a good time. I think we accomplished all we set out to do.

I think we were entered in about 6-7 events between the 3 of us (some of them were teams of 2, some were 2 individuals per event, others were simply one person events). Come to find out when we got out there that most people only enter 1, maybe two events each. The only event that any of us didn't compete in that we were registered for was the climbing event that I was supposed to do. Long story as to why.

I guess my suggestion would be to go to the career days. You've been to the TCI expos, there will be more. You've only got a limited amount of time left for the career days. Go, have fun, make some contacts, beat the cr*p out of the other climbers, get your resume out there (my buddy found a job after graduation at the career fair), have fun, have fun, have fun.

Any other ???'s, lemme know, I'll try to remember as best as I can.:D

Dan

Mr. Nick, i think you have too much to offer the students, and prolly will only fit that scene for a shorter period of your life; perhaps even bring some of the TCI to the students if involved in setting up, brainstorming for contests, distributors, employers etc.

Your education, family background, field experience, research, comradre here, willingness to give, passion etc., etc. might place you in different position than any other person there! And being career daze, some will be on the hunt for shiners. Even if you have other plans; it's good to know what you're worth; and what sets ye apart.

Good Luck Guy,
-KC

Thanks for the glowing comments....I get a lot of feedback in a day - both positive and negative. From Senators to the 8 people that I sign the paycheck for - I get both "well done" and "I can't believe you just...." Not to mention the comments of my newly-ex-girlfriend. :rolleyes:

I was digging through old threads on the ISA W*b*o*rd and found some interesting comments from myself. I realized that I have many of the same viewpoints that I had a year and a half ago, except with even less tact then. I did and still do get people telling me that I need to get out more and experience things. I don't get it! I've traveled to both ends of the continent, to Europe, and to 4 states in 4 weeks and two more trips before the end of the year. I'm maxxed out here...

Back to the thread....I'm looking into doing both the same week - it would cost about $100 more for the airfare, so money isn't as big of a deal. I'll just have to figure out what works - your votes would be nice, though!

Nickrosis

Nick: your professional career will exceed your time preparing for it. Make the alca your priority. You'll deal with the TCIA enough in your professional career. If I'm correct, they elect officers to help run it. Smart managers are always needed.

Joe

Back