Soapstone Stoves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zodiac45

Paleostoveologist & Sawwhisperer
Reaction score
Who's got them? How do you like them? Advantages over cast? How much wood do you use comparatively? etc..

I've had a hankering for a soaper for a few years now and am looking too hear some real world experiences. Especially interested in the Woodstocks which seem too have a great reputation, and are massive (weight wise). I want a 24/7 overnight burning heater stove too supplement the old Glenwood cookstove in the kitchen. All you soapers out there, convince me it's worth the BIG bucks these babies cost. :cheers:

I like my Woodstock Soapstone

I purchased my Woodstock Soapstone stove used. Been in service since Oct. 05 at my residence.

The stove is located in my basement and has heated my 3 bedroom ranch house 90% of the time. When the temps get down around zero with some wind added to the picture, the NG furnace has to kick in to help.

I like the fact that the stove holds the heat. Even after the fire dies down, the soapstone will still be warm for several hours later. I usually have a nice bed of red hot coals in the morning after my last filling at 10:30 - 11:00 PM.
My wife always wanted a fireplace, and this stove allows you to see the fire burning but keeps alot of the heat from going up the chimney.

Would I buy another Woodstock or recommend someone to purchase one...? You bet I would.

Hope this helps you in your determination. Good Luck.

Gary

Give Hearthstone a look as well. I have their Homestead which is on the smaller side. I can get maybe 6-7 hour burns when its stuffed. Red hot coals are waiting for me in the morning some 8-9 hours after i've loaded it up. The soapstone retains heat for so long. I filled the stove up last night around 9:30, fire was probably out by 4 or 5 am...I went home for lunch today at 1:30 and my stove top was still 105*. Can't go wrong with Woodstock (great customer service from what I hear) or Hearthstone. I bought mine used. Good luck and JUST DO IT!

Give Hearthstone a look as well. I have their Homestead which is on the smaller side. I can get maybe 6-7 hour burns when its stuffed. Red hot coals are waiting for me in the morning some 8-9 hours after i've loaded it up. The soapstone retains heat for so long. I filled the stove up last night around 9:30, fire was probably out by 4 or 5 am...I went home for lunch today at 1:30 and my stove top was still 105*. Can't go wrong with Woodstock (great customer service from what I hear) or Hearthstone. I bought mine used. Good luck and JUST DO IT!

I agree, I have a Hearthstone Phoenix in my fireplace and can get a 10hr burn easily. Throws a nice consistent heat.

IMGP3127.jpg

My firewood buddy has one don't know the brand but he went and got it in person because the shipping was so high he may have needed time off too same difference. I could find out more about it if you want?

He went to Pennsylvania or Maine somewhere up North and East. I know its got a cat and he loves the stove and it will burn all night thats all I can say or know but hey if it looks cool (it does) and costs a lot of money (it did) buy it its got to be good.

Kansas

Thank's Fella's

That Phoenix sure is a nice looking rig Fletcher! Yep I'd say it's gonna be between the Hearthstone or I'll drive too NH and get a Woodstock from the factory. I need a 24/7 heater stove too keep the oil furnace off late at night. It'll run from Oct-May here in Maine. Right now the Cookstove keeps the furnace off till about 2am. till I'm up at 6am. I used less than 400 gals last year, but prefer too only use the oil for times when I'm away. Might be till next year before this happens but I have my eyes open and probably spring or summer there will chances for used one in Uncle Henry's, Craig's list etc..

Thank's Fella's

That Phoenix sure is a nice looking rig Fletcher! Yep I'd say it's gonna be between the Hearthstone or I'll drive too NH and get a Woodstock from the factory. I need a 24/7 heater stove too keep the oil furnace off late at night. It'll run from Oct-May here in Maine. Right now the Cookstove keeps the furnace off till about 2am. till I'm up at 6am. I used less than 400 gals last year, but prefer too only use the oil for times when I'm away. Might be till next year before this happens but I have my eyes open and probably spring or summer there will chances for used one in Uncle Henry's, Craig's list etc..

I bought mine used two years ago on Ebay for $800, very happy with it. It won't get much use now that my OWB is up and running.

I was looking at soapstone stoves last year before i bought our Defiant. I have no experience with them but they sure are a nice looking stove. As everyone stated, they are supposed to radiate heat long after the fire dies down. In the end, i decided i couldn't live without a top loading door. I love being able to pack the stove to the top before i go to bed ...... i always end up with good hot burning chunks in the morning. If it weren't for wanting a top loader..... the wife would have won out and we'd have an enameled soapstone stove instead. Good luck ! :cheers:

I was looking at soapstone stoves last year before i bought our Defiant. I have no experience with them but they sure are a nice looking stove. As everyone stated, they are supposed to radiate heat long after the fire dies down. In the end, i decided i couldn't live without a top loading door. I love being able to pack the stove to the top before i go to bed ...... i always end up with good hot burning chunks in the morning. If it weren't for wanting a top loader..... the wife would have won out and we'd have an enameled soapstone stove instead. Good luck ! :cheers:

I've got a top load efel in the basement and love being able to pack it full with ease.

I agree, I have a Hearthstone Phoenix in my fireplace and can get a 10hr burn easily. Throws a nice consistent heat.

That's a beautiful stove! :clap:

I've looked at soapstone for years, but don't have the bucks. :(

But just to torture myself about it some more, how long does a cold soapstone take to start producing decent heat? If it takes a long time to cool down, it must take a long time to heat up, it would seem. I'm thinking of those times when the fire is out and the house is cold, and you want heat NOW. Does a soapstone work well for that?

BTW, I don't have any problem getting 10-12 hours on my old Fisher. The downside is, I can't see the fire.

I have a Hearthstone Heritage that I burn 24/7 from late September through April. As others have stated even after the fire burns down the stove retains a lot of heat which is one of the big pluses of it. I do think it takes a bit longer to warm up but it is hard to compare my stove to my buddies, cast iron one, as our homes are quite different.

I have an old house that runs about 2500 sq feet with the stove in the large parlor on the 1st floor and it is hard to keep the whole house a constant temp. My natural gas furnace has been kicking on some now that I finally turned in on last week. I burn about 1 cord of hardwood(maple, elm, oak, hickory) a month.

The ONLY thing I would do different if I was to do it over was to get the bigger Mansfield stove by Hearthstone. When I bought my Heritage the dealer assured me that it could heat my house but I should have thought about the lack of insulation, 11 foot ceiling etc.

How does you cook stove do? My wife is now on board with one now. Our kitchen tends to be the coldest room in the house so it makes sense for us to get one. How much wood do you burn on it and does it drastically increase cooking time vs a electric or gas stove?

I picked up a hearthstone II in the paper for 800 last year, along with and 8 by 4 ft steel rack for the porch. They guy had muscular dystrophy and was unable to do the wood anymore, so he switched to gas. I don't have a cat or anything fancy, just a glass door to watch the fire by, and a screen insert to use it as a "fireplace". I have a 1700 sq ft log cabin that has a 17 by 17 great room with a 14/15 ft celing. one fan in the hallway pushes the rest of the house warm. I can load it with a bit of locust at night, (mixed with red oak) at 11P. Wake up with a flame by 6P. If i have to get up by 4 for a nature call, I can stuff one more piece on the 3 inches or so of coals and make it until 11A. It is a thing of beauty.

My father picked one up for 500 as a guy was switching to coal. His has a cat and seems to run longer than mine. I also have a 25 ft strait pipe where he has a few kinks in his (2 90 degrees) so I get a much better draft.

As far as how long does it take to heat up. Today it was 27 outside,and i stuffed her for work. I got home and it was about 65 inside. (I am guessing the naty gas baseboard kicked on sometime this late afternoon.) Within 25 mins to 1/2 hour I had her back to 68. It is now 11P and we are runnin strong at 77 (kept the flames low) but I have pushed it to 88 degrees without having the stack temp over 350.

I have a Hearthstone Heritage that I burn 24/7 from late September through April. As others have stated even after the fire burns down the stove retains a lot of heat which is one of the big pluses of it. I do think it takes a bit longer to warm up but it is hard to compare my stove to my buddies, cast iron one, as our homes are quite different.

I have an old house that runs about 2500 sq feet with the stove in the large parlor on the 1st floor and it is hard to keep the whole house a constant temp. My natural gas furnace has been kicking on some now that I finally turned in on last week. I burn about 1 cord of hardwood(maple, elm, oak, hickory) a month.

The ONLY thing I would do different if I was to do it over was to get the bigger Mansfield stove by Hearthstone. When I bought my Heritage the dealer assured me that it could heat my house but I should have thought about the lack of insulation, 11 foot ceiling etc.

How does you cook stove do? My wife is now on board with one now. Our kitchen tends to be the coldest room in the house so it makes sense for us to get one. How much wood do you burn on it and does it drastically increase cooking time vs a electric or gas stove?

Josh,

My Old Glenwood cookstove is a godsend. First off it's a huge hunk of cast that really heats. It's only shortcoming is being a cookstove, the firebox is small (in order too vary temps) so you are throwing a stick or two in every couple of hours. I see it as a perfect companion too a soapstone that while taking some time too put out heat, once it's up and going, I plan to run it 24/7 for the season. The cooker, I fire up every morning but it's really nice too cook on and bake in. Like any big stove, it takes a good hour before you are frying or baking anything first thing in the morning but once going, it's good to go at any time. I'd say that I put about 3-4 cords through it a year. It also requires an extra split from the size you'd use in a heater stove. :cheers:

Tallelf, That's what I'm talking about! That is a thing of beauty too get up and it's not cold! Stir it up and add a charge of wood! I'm all over it!

Last edited:
That's a beautiful stove! :clap:

I've looked at soapstone for years, but don't have the bucks. :(

But just to torture myself about it some more, how long does a cold soapstone take to start producing decent heat? If it takes a long time to cool down, it must take a long time to heat up, it would seem. I'm thinking of those times when the fire is out and the house is cold, and you want heat NOW. Does a soapstone work well for that?

BTW, I don't have any problem getting 10-12 hours on my old Fisher. The downside is, I can't see the fire.

I have the Hearthstone Heritage in brown enamel and love it. It's been a slow learning curve however. It does a good job of heating my 1550 ' home and gets decent over night burns too.
Yes it radiates a nice heat for a long time but you are right that it takes quite a while to get to temp. Maybe two hours. But I've learned to make it work for me.
10:00 PM ~ I'll top it off with good hard wood before going to bed.
05:00 AM ~ Stove is still fairly warm. I'll put some wood on the coals. Maybe Popple if I don't need a long burn.
I get a lot of winter solar gain so if the sun is out at all by 09:00 AM the house is warming up with or without a fire. (cloudy days thro a wrench into this)
When we get home at night I make a fire. The house might still be warm but I need to get the stove up to temp. The stove is in the living room and I have cathedral ceilings so I might leave the ceiling fan off and let the heat accumulate up there a while, then start the fan (reverse) to get it all moving. It's taken some experimenting but I'm able to keep a nice fairly consistent heat this way.
Good luck. Dan.

fireview

I have had the fireview for 4 years, acutally I have had three fireviews in 4 years. They keep cracking and my thrid one has cracked as well (and yes I do the 3-4 small fires an the beginning of the burn season, always seems to crack on the middle to end of the burn season - go figure). The first two fireviews woodstock replaced at no charge (shiiping or otherwise). It was a hassle though, go pickup new stove, un-crate, install and then recrate old stove and ship back. The third stove woodstock is not so "nice", will send me the "pieces" (no charge) and I fix myself. One (outside piece) looks simple enough the other inside piece is a major undertaking.

The first fireview cracked all over; top, side, and front pieces. The cracks were major and all on the outside. The second one had a major crack on the inside back piece. My third one is cracked on outside top and inside back.

Being stuck with a cracked stove I have to fix myself is not that great of a deal, but with woodstock being at one end of the country and me in the middle I am at their mercy and they are out at the moment.

The above is just the negative experience I've had, but they try to cheer me up by stating it is only a small precentage of stoves that crack.

On a positive note the stove does heat good and is efficeint.

take care

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back