Sold the 066, up next 661,390,395

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I already got a buyer who’s run the saw before and he jumped on it when I mentioned selling it.

Ive narrowed it to those three I think. Their all pretty much the same price so that’s not a real concern. I run a 25 and a 36 on the 066. I have a husky bar adapter for the 36 if need be. I also have a large mount 24 and 32 for the husky. So the bars are covered.

Had any of you run all three? I realize the 395 is basically a cinderblock but it’s a tried and true very basic design.
I’ve never run a 390 but I used to have a 385xp and regret selling it. The stihl is very modern witch could be really good or really bad if it’s not done properly.
Does stihl still have issues with the mtronic stuff? I’m doing this in an effort to reduce the beating my hands take with the 066. Any thoughts?

Here’s my current lineup in case anyone’s curious
Ms194t
Husky 440e
346xpne
262xp
Jonsered 2166r
Echo cs-800p (selling)
066 basically sold

The 395XP is a little heavier than your 066, but will pull that three footer considerably harder... Of course the MS 661 does as well, but not as well as the 395XP. I remember liking the 390XP a lot. Rock solid and very fast with the right bar, but it isn’t a three footer in hard woods. If I had a large mount 32 inch bar I would very quickly find myself getting used to running a 395 and the front tensioner.

There are no bad choices of the three, they all have their strengths. The 395XP is the beast that fits all your bars. An MS 661 is a very refined and much more comfortable 066 that actually is both more powerful and more user friendly. It’s been a long time since I’ve run a 390XP, I just remember it not liking the 36” full comp setup I had on it when it was time to buck up maple.

I do not own an MS 661, but I made a mistake two years ago. I sold a used one that ran for $850 after I paid $800 for it. At the time I already owned a fine running MS 660 and an 064 that might have been more powerful than either of them.

36” bar =395
less than 36” bar =390

If you like to visit your dealer and leave the saw there buy the 661.

Latest posts

Back