Some fir milling pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookerdog

The New Champ
Reaction score
Well did some fir the other day. Making a lean to off of one of my sheds with it. I also used a lumbermaker to cut some beams. I had more problems with that thing. It attaches to the bar with some allen nuts. First thing the allen nuts came loose and the bar slipped putting some nasty chunks in my ripping chain. It was my fault though was in a hurry.

Last edited:
bookerdog said:
Well did some fir the other day. Making a lean to off of one of my sheds with it.

First thing the allen nuts came loose and the bar slipped putting some nasty chunks in my ripping chain. It was my fault though was in a hurry.
I've made more mistakes by being in a hurry than any other way. Either rushing down the log too fast and then the cut starts to wander or opens up, or because I'm in a hurry I miss something going wrong and don't see problem till I'm 3/4 way down the log already. By that time I've ruined two boards, the one I'm cutting and the next one.

Making lumber for a lean-to this way is a lot more fun than driving the to the big box and buying it, no?

lean-to

Yes it is a joy to mill your own lumber. I was suprized how much fun it is for the work involeved. What a great workout also. I have decided to mill my lumber into slaps now and air dry they log roll style. Then when I need certain lumber I will just cut up the slaps to the dim. I need them.

Ha there Bookerdog,
I have one of them beam makers and I had the same trouble with bolts working their way loose.
I took the plung and got the granberg mini-mill , it works good except you don't have the swivel option for the bar like the beam maker which is nice if you want to quickly adjust the depth of your cut.
Sure like seeing them fresh sawn cants. Looks good.
Do you have alot of fir to mill up?
What part of Washington are you in?
Keep us posted on your project.
happy milling

hello smithie

smithie55 said:
Ha there Bookerdog,
I have one of them beam makers and I had the same trouble with bolts working their way loose.
I took the plung and got the granberg mini-mill , it works good except you don't have the swivel option for the bar like the beam maker which is nice if you want to quickly adjust the depth of your cut.
Sure like seeing them fresh sawn cants. Looks good.
Do you have alot of fir to mill up?
What part of Washington are you in?
Keep us posted on your project.
happy milling
Yes we have alot of fir. I live on 180 acre's in underwood wa right across the columbia from hood river oregon. I have about 8 more blow downs to mill up. Wondering though if I should have the log truck come up and take them in with log prices the way they are.

boardmaster

Had a friend give me a boardmaster. Same as the lumbermaker but you drill to holes in your bar. Sounds like that would keep things from slipping.

sawing lumber

smithie55 said:
Ha bookerdog,
been sawin any more lumber?
Yes smithie I have been. Made a couple of beams the other day 4x10x16. I have some wild dogwood been thinking about making some flooring out of it.

Back