something old, something new

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmurph

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
it was a good day for cad. as a matter of fact it has been a good couple of weeks. last thursday i came home to an 044 on my back porch. i pulled it apart and it had a little scoring on the piston and not much else wrong. it came with a 36" ES and a new loop of RS. i have a piston on its way. the cylinder needed nothing. i have it stripped and will be replacing seals and the piston, as well as rebuilding the carb. i am really interested in how this legend runs.

on monday i was browsing CL and noticed an add that said "two cylinder echo $40." i wasted no time calling. the owner said he had someone coming at 5 pm to look at it. i offered him $100 shipped and he agreed. i have had this sort of thing happen to me before and i felt a little guilty. the saw came yesterday and i went to the PO first thing this morning to pick it up. it has good compression in both cylinders, but no spark. it also has a big chunk of the clutch cover missing and a small crack in the foot plate on the handle. i messed with it a few minutes today. i disconnected the kill switch but it did not change anything. i cleaned it up some and set it aside. i had another mission: a 346NE Cat coming.

i had been tracking it on UPS and had arranged to pick it up at the UPS center today rather than wait for the driver, who usually comes late in the afternoon. well, as it turned out my 6 yr old was up sick last night and didn't go to school this morning. he was feeling better by 10am so we went to pick up the saw. SWEEEEEEEEEET.

i made a few cuts and then it went under the knife. i ordered a non-cat muffler and i modded it with a 1/2" hole and a 288 deflector setup. does anyone have an opinion about the size of the opening i made? i did not alter the stock opening. i cut the limiters and tuned it, but by then it was too late to cut. tomorrow i am doing a controlled burn of about 50ac of our land in the AM and then i am going to get started on cutting the wood for next winter. i can't wait to put this little bugger to work. it is a tiny saw. it weighed 11lbs 6oz PHO out of the box. i put a 20" 3/8" RSC on an Oregon bar and the weight came to 15lbs even. i know some will say it will perform better with a shorter bar and a .325 chain. but at 6'4", the extra reach is appreciated at the end of the day and everything else is 3/8", so it makes it simpler to run one size chain on all my saws. it doesn't have the power of my 361/262, but it sure is light and i know it will get faster as the rings seat, and i know the MM will make a difference. i will try to check compression in the morning, as i know someone was questioning a low reading yesterday. i also have an unlimited coil to put on in the morning. so i hope it will be a different saw tomorrow. i am also feeling a little froggy, so it may get a little port work too.

here are a few pics of the 610 and 346.

i have the handle bar for the 610. if anyone has a clutch cover i would like to make a deal.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
If possible could you pm me where you bought the non-cat muffler from and how much they cost? I am looking for a reasonably priced one for my 346xp. I would go by the part numbers for the 346xp but I am unsure how to guarantee I get a NON-CAT version.

Latest posts

Back