"Souped up" Oiler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimL

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ive never been happy with the oiler on my 038 mag 2, I dont use the saw much but when I do it lacks lubs, Cranked up with the new oiler thats on it im only gettin 1/2 tank of oil to a tank of gas.
It likes gas though.

So I tore down another spare I had and pondered.
Any reason I couldn't just cut a small portion of this flat off so it has more room to pull more oil in the pump? Higher volume maybe.

Cut off whats in the yellow, cept not quite that much. Maybe make it cup shaped to aid it in pulling in oil?

Maybe im pi$$ing in the wind too..

JimL,
This won't answer your question but maybe someone who does can answer mine as well. Has anyone run one of the "high volume" oilers for the 088. My dealer was telling me that stihl offers one for $80 that is designed for longer bars i.e. over 36". I'm wondering if anyone has tried one of these and if so are they still adjustable like the stock oiler? I would consider one of these if they can be adjusted. I run a 56" bar for big wood and it doesn't oil well enough for me. However, I don't want to be covered in oil when I run a 18" bar.

Stihl offers a High volume oiler for the 066, im not sure about the 088. Never gotten any info on them if they did offer it.

oiler

Have you pulled the oiler and looked behind the gasket? They were prone to partially plugging there and reducing output. Also the vent was prone to plugging. An 038 oiler was not anemic by no means.

gasket was replaced, ive been through it a couple times, nothing will make it put out more.

saws only got a 20" bar on it .

Hi Jim, if you loosen the oil cap and run the saw as though in a felling position, does it put out more oil with the tank half full so it doesn't leak out the cap? If so, maybe the vent is plugged as Stihltech mentioned.
John

Well i stabbed the ball with a wire, we will find out if it helps, it was stucks some cause I heard it suck some air in when i did it.

Yet another documented reason to not buy a Stihl you would think that laying down 1100.00 would get you an oil pump that would get enough oil around a long bar, but that would be less money for the bosses when they go to the Virgin Islands.

Ive got a pile of husky 3120 oilers layin in a box i replaced.
along with some 394 oiler pieces.

Back