Sparks flying off chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hickory and blackjack oak will throw sparks too. And usually you can't see it well untill about sundown. Probably just a hard wood your cutting. Now if it is excessive you may have other things going on.
+1 on the black jack. that bark sure is nasty for the 1st 2 ft. whats that guy doing there to make so much smoke? I thought my ole mac smoked bad but damn!

Sawing through a tree? (maybe overgrown bush?) and there were sparks coming off the chainsaw chain. I tried a bigger saw with a better chain. Dulled this chain and still had sparks. Nothing embedded in the wood. Anyone ever experience this? Seriously hard wood.

That is my world here in central Kansas SAND its embedded in the trees its in the bark its the ground its everywhere!

Sucks something terrible to operate a chainsaw in it but there isnt a better way I have found? My bars and chains dont last very long sad to say.

Oh yeah I forgot about black walnut and hedge they are so hard they throw sparks anyway besides the sand.

Kansas

Last edited:
First post after lurking for a while. :newbie:

I am glad to hear I am not the only person seeing sparks. I am cutting a 18" eucalyptus that split in a wind storm a few years back and fell and suspended on another tree so it has never touched the ground and the bark is gone from age. This tree is in a grove of large trees in a draw so it never sees anything but shade so it makes the sparks more visible. My saw is lubing (Stihl bar oil) well as it is spraying a nice spray off of the tip and the chain is not turning a light color so I think it is sufficiently lubed. I also religiously use my greaser on the tip and the chain is sharp and throwing chips not dust. This wood is really hard to the point of the cuts being a bit shinny. Yes I know my current saw is cutting too slow and building heat so I let it cool after a few cuts. The old bar (Husqvarna) was worn at the tip so I replaced it with a new Oregon bar and a new Oregon chain and same thing; sparks, even with a cold bar. The chain is properly tensioned. This tree is much harder then the dried live oak (no sparks) I have recently cut. I am wondering if some trees draw minerals into their wood and this is what is causing the sparks. The soil is decomposed granite and it is growing in a dry creek bed. Also I cut down another eucalyptus by it, (green wood) and I saw no sparks.

I am leaving the dry tree until I get a better saw and on Monday. I won't break it in on this tree. I might get a MS-361, but I really like the weight of the 346XP/MS-260 PRO. The 346XP is a non-cat saw and is my first choice. My dealer carries both Stihl and Husqvarna so the dealer support is equally good. I am just a weekend warrior so I don't usually need a huge saw and if I do I will use my friend's or one my uncle's larger saws. I do see a larger saw in my future though. :D I am taking vacation time next week to get to know my new saw better, no joke.

Last edited:
Back