Square filed chain chips, Smooth and crisp!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crofter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I took a snap of some chips cut with a sharp square filed chain. notice how many are full kerf width and not much tearing where they were severed from the end grain. Compare to chips cut with a round ground chain.

Hmmm, interesting stuff. I may have to switch chains as my customers have been dissatisfied with the quality of the sawdust I make. ;) :D

Aha sawdustoligy,perhaps a new course of study ,along with chainsaw metrics,hmm.

Al you don't know scat. Now if you want to find out what a bear has been eating you could go and look to see what is caught between his teeth, or you could go and study his scat, see!
Same way by studying your chainsaw scat, you can get some idea about how it is feeding. You might find out where some of your horses have been disappearing. Dont be blundering around stepping on clues just because it looks like scat, Lol!

My chain is more efficient than yours, Frank. Mine produces nothing more than ecology-friendly dust which turns to soil much quicker!

Glen, that is balanced by the scat;I have no shortage of that. The additional nitrogen speeds up decompsition, so it is a wash! You and Al ain't gonna beat me when it comes to knowing scat! ( or squat)

I've heard of making a boxed cut, but I just want to know what happens if you use a triangular file? Incidently, I realized late that my saw seller sold me the small file when I should have had the large file. I held up on it while filing and now my saw cuts again! But the chain will have had a short life. Oh, so short. Back to square one.

Back