Starter repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Smith

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The subject is a 1951 Feurgeson TO 20.These old tractors came equipted with a 6 volt electrical system,which is marginal,at best.This one,like many,has a big bore kit[Massey 35 pistons],which raises the comp.from 6.5 to 1 to 8.5 to 1 ,and adds about 5 HP.With this set up,needless to say,the 6 volt sytem won't cut the mustard,so to speak.The normal fix is to install a Chevy alternator,a resister across the coil,install 12 volt bulbs,and keep the 6 volt starter[ a Massey 35 starter won't fit]When you double the voltage on a DC motor,you quad. the power[ohms law]The starter had been rebuilt,and had a thrust washer installed[didn't need one].When the starter drive[Bendix] hit the end of its travel,it collided with the washer and broke the starter tailshaft,ugh.[4 times the power]Hopefully,the weld will hold,if not I will figure something else out,I always do. ;)

Hi Al, That starter definitely is powerful.Do you think the washer they put in was the problem?
I know in the 6 to 12 volt conversions they use the 6 volt starter .Just limiting its run time from 5 to 10 seconds so it doesn't overheat.But you might consider putting in a resistance bank to knock down the voltage and current to the starter.They use large banks on overhead industrial cranes.You wouldn't need anything that big .Just a thought.
Ray

Latest posts

Back