Stihl 015L for FREE!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchuck361

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well I had a Stihl 015L given to me the other day. Now mind you this is a saw in a box, completely disassembled. I have gone through all the parts and they are mostly there. It will need a new ring, air filter, fuel filter, carb kit, gasket set, bar and chain, and sprocket.

So far I Have found:
air filter for 3$
sprocket for 4$
carb kit for 10$
baileys has a bar and chain combo for 16$.

I just need to get the ring and some fuel line. The filter,line and grommet is available for 25$. I'm looking into making my own fuel filter assembly, 25$ is kinda steep for this old saw.
Anyway now you know the details any tips or advise on this old saw. I really like the look of it and I am thinking of doing a complete restoration on it.
How is it as a performer? It is said to only weigh 8.1 lbs and makes 1.77hp not too bad,a pound and a half more then the 192t with the same power, if that is really true? Anyone ever try to open one up a little more? If I could get a little more power while its already in pieces that would be great.

They are an older saw but do well as a lite trim saw. They can be a little slow, but if you keep the 1/4 chain sharp, they cut pretty good. I use mine for trail maintenance. As for performance, you are limited. The muff could maybe see a little work, but it is pre epa crap so it is not restricted like new saws, but it is already loud too. You could port it I guess. Carbs can be a little finicky, but overall they aren't hard to work on, besides the recoil.

I have seen more problems with Carb issuses rather than coil issuses. Cant remember ever changing anything but the points and cond. I know on the fuel hose, you can use the 1123 358 7702 hose, and with a little modification it will work. Seals the big hole anyway. Good luick with your project. I probally got a few parts laying around if you run up on something you need.

:popcorn:

Well I am making progress on putting the saw back together I have found some missing pieces Anyone got them?

Oil pump spur gear for 3/8lp

There is some kind of washer that sits between the oil pump housing and the
other spur gear I need that too.

The inner and outer chain side plates

The trigger interlock spring and throttle spring

The cylinder and piston look very good but I am a bit suspect of the ring anyone have one?

That is all I have found for now. Thanks

Well I had a Stihl 015L given to me the other day. Now mind you this is a saw in a box, completely disassembled. I have gone through all the parts and they are mostly there. It will need a new ring, air filter, fuel filter, carb kit, gasket set, bar and chain, and sprocket.

So far I Have found:
air filter for 3$
sprocket for 4$
carb kit for 10$

I just need to get the ring and some fuel line. The filter,line and grommet is available for 25$. I'm looking into making my own fuel filter assembly, 25$ is kinda steep for this old saw.
Anyway now you know the details any tips or advise on this old saw. I really like the look of it and I am thinking of doing a complete restoration on it.
How is it as a performer? It is said to only weigh 8.1 lbs and makes 1.77hp not too bad,a pound and a half more then the 192t with the same power, if that is really true? Anyone ever try to open one up a little more? If I could get a little more power while its already in pieces that would be great.

If the 015 last had the 1/4 pitch chain, you will also need to buy the
oiler spur gear, I just bought 3/8 picco durm sprocket and spur gear
from Stihl dealer

Dealer said he could still get the fuel line and filter..........$19
I also bought a ring for my 015AV (rear handle) have yet to tear into it.

Last edited:
FYI - Labonville also has some good bar&chain specials for 3/8 lo-profile (14" an 16") The chain is safety (the bad kind), but the bar looks nice (Oregon).

Got a piston ring tonight and now things are really coming together.
I do have a question about the oil pump spur gear the big one that runs on the cylindrical worn gear in the oil pump housing.

What is the washer made out of?

It shows that the washer goes between the big gear and the pump housing. I just wonder if it is there to take the slop out of the gear? Is it a felt washer,metal or rubber o-ring? Thanks...

I'm getting a hiss sound out the exhaust port? Would that mean I need a new piston too? I oiled the cylinder and piston on the install. I have not done a compression test. Just turning the flywheel by hand and I hear a hiss sound front the exhaust port. Could it be because the new ring is not really seated yet?

Any info on the oil pump spur gear washer material?
thank..

You're always going to get that hissing sound. The compression has to go somewhere or you wouldn't be able to turn it over by hand. There's nothing wrong with it. I'd buy the washer from the dealer. It can't be much and I'd want to make sure it was the right thickness and diameters. I think you need PN 0000 958 0504.

10-4 ... Just over thinking the whole process a little, just don't want to do this twice. Thanks for your input. I was just wondering what holds that gear in place and keeps it from wobbling there is the pump body that it fits in but that is loose and then there is a plastic cover with this washer in between? Anyway with put the order in tomorrow Thanks again. Brad...

well it is running and looks pretty good. All told I spent WAY too much on this saw but its a cool old saw and I can take some comfort in how well it runs now.

air filter for 3$
sprocket for 4$
carb kit for 10$
oil pump drive sprocket 13$
parts saw from Zerojunk (THANKYOU) 11.90$
new piston 30$
tube of durko 18$
rings I ended up not needing 10$
wrist pin clips 2$
fuel line and filter 5$
new sparkplug free.

Grand total 122.9$ I know its krazy but the saw is all but new and runs great thats what I keep telling myself.

well it is running and looks pretty good. All told I spent WAY too much on this saw but its a cool old saw and I can take some comfort in how well it runs now.

air filter for 3$
sprocket for 4$
carb kit for 10$
oil pump drive sprocket 13$
parts saw from Zerojunk (THANKYOU) 11.90$
new piston 30$
tube of durko 18$
rings I ended up not needing 10$
wrist pin clips 2$
fuel line and filter 5$
new sparkplug free.

Grand total 122.9$ I know its krazy but the saw is all but new and runs great thats what I keep telling myself.
Keep it and use it for a year and you will get your money back. At least you now know what you got. :clap:

Latest posts

Back