Stihl 020 AVP Repair, help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got that screw on the handle out with that new screwdriver. The manual impact screwdriver is one of the best purchases I’ve ever made! Everything is all loosely goosey, but won’t totally come apart…
If the saw has not been apart in a long time (or maybe ever), the carb nipple can be gripped very firmly by the fuel line grommet. The grommet can harden with age and become very attached to the nipple. Assuming you have all the necessary bolts removed (and it sounds like you do), just keep pulling and prying. I had a buddy help with one when my arthritic hands weren't quite up to the task.

I’m still pulling and prying, no luck. I figured I’d upload some pics where I circled the screw holes that I’ve removed screws from to see if anyone that knew these saws could realize what I’m missing. I’ve removed 8 screws and the 2 carb nuts.

Attachments

• IMG_5876.jpeg
    IMG_5876.jpeg
    781 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5877.jpeg
    IMG_5877.jpeg
    947.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5878.jpeg
    IMG_5878.jpeg
    840.8 KB · Views: 0
I’m currently TRYING to disconnect the throttle link(top access) and rest of handle.
That is not necessary to separate the case and may needlessly complicate reassembly. The only actual connection (besides friction) between the two halves at this point is the carb nipple to fuel hose grommet. This video may help - apologies if you've seen it:

My saw doesn’t have a screw holding the spark plug wire, not a hole for a screw… Just something I noticed.
I have already watched that video. Thanks tho.
The fuel grommet mating surfaces must be super hard...

If it has never been apart, the fuel hose will be stuck to the carb to manifold adapter. Get a plastic hammer and tunk it at the carb mounting studs.
NOTE: The fuel tank does feel loose now correct?

I’ll get a plastic hammer today. fuel tank side isn’t as loose as the recoil side… Like all the screws are out, but you can tell there is still som resistance like that fuel grommet.

I’ll get a plastic hammer today. fuel tank side isn’t as loose as the recoil side… Like all the screws are out, but you can tell there is still som resistance like that fuel grommet.

It's probably well-cured doug-fir sap cementing it all together!

Sorry it's giving you so much trouble. I hope the top end is in good shape for ya!

I finally bought a plastic hammer today. I just spent 10 minutes attempting this job with the new plastic hammer, but no luck… I’ll try one more time tonight, otherwise though, I might put it back together and try again in the future when I don’t have so many other projects going on or maybe I’ll get another 020 one day that needs some parts off of this one.

Latest posts

Back