• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Stihl 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moving to a better filter AND getting the choke out of the filter would be nice. Of course, that's a MS261.
Many more models have those characteristics like 1125 but those choke assemblies have their own issues. The filter is about the only part of a 261 worth using on an older model. Mating that to fit is a no filter cover only so why bother. Updating the plastic is the best way while changing out all the old stuff on the carb and such like control levers that actually work long term without issues.

I'm a climber so everything matters. 026P/260s just don't have the stuff imho to be a good work tool in trees. It requires so much work to get one to pull in dead large hardwoods they left my radar over a decade ago. New MS261 is a pig in the tree and handles like slop to me. 034 with a simple few mods will eat it up like nothing. 360 is rather dismal compared to a well running 034S. Those are rare but fixing the older plastic isn't worth the hunt now. I'm done with that and moved on. The chassis and updated PTO side will always be a dependable winner in any trim. Starter housings are easy to update. The rest has been almost completely worked out. The last bits are finding their way to the machine shop soon for mockup.

Back