Stihl 026Pro Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Tettnanger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new here, so take it easy on me!

I found this site while researching a new saw. I currently have a Stihl 026Pro that is about 7 years old. I HATE it! It has always been very hard to start. If I get it started, it runs like a champ. The weight, ease of use and cutting ability are great. But, it is almost impossible to start. I have had it serviced several times with no luck. I just replaced the spark plug and fuel filter, added fresh fuel, followed starting procedures=UGH. I have done some searching on this forum and am going to try:

1.) Inspect the carb to be sure that the choke flap closes all the way.
2.) Adjust the "L" screw so that the mixture is not too lean.

Any other suggestions? I am at my wits end with this saw. I have been looking at the Husqvarna line of saws as a replacement. I like the 455 and the 460, but the $375-$420 is killing me. I hate to spend it, but I can't spend another day yanking the starting rope like an out of control maniac!

Thanks all for the help.

Ps.

Does a chainsaw like this have any re-sale value? Is it worth it to place a few ads if I can't get it to start easier? I talked to a few dealers, nobody wants to offer "trade-ins" toward a new saw.

Thanks!

Flooded?

I am new here, so take it easy on me!

I found this site while researching a new saw. I currently have a Stihl 026Pro that is about 7 years old. I HATE it! It has always been very hard to start. If I get it started, it runs like a champ. The weight, ease of use and cutting ability are great. But, it is almost impossible to start. I have had it serviced several times with no luck. I just replaced the spark plug and fuel filter, added fresh fuel, followed starting procedures=UGH. I have done some searching on this forum and am going to try:

1.) Inspect the carb to be sure that the choke flap closes all the way.
2.) Adjust the "L" screw so that the mixture is not too lean.

Any other suggestions? I am at my wits end with this saw. I have been looking at the Husqvarna line of saws as a replacement. I like the 455 and the 460, but the $375-$420 is killing me. I hate to spend it, but I can't spend another day yanking the starting rope like an out of control maniac!

Thanks all for the help.

If it runs fine when you CAN start it it may be that you're
missing the "pop" sometimes and the continued pulling is flooding the saw.
Just a thought.
Al:cheers:

help

It should start easily. The question is, what has been checked?
Fuel hose, pulse hose, fast idle, inlet lever height, pressure and vacuum test, compression, etc.

So, how far away from western NY are you?

It should start easily. The question is, what has been checked?
Fuel hose, pulse hose, fast idle, inlet lever height, pressure and vacuum test, compression, etc.

So, how far away from western NY are you?

+1. Your gonna need to go over these items carefully. I'd start with the carb first checking metering diaphram for stiffness and while your there check inlet needle lever height although i'd think there would be issues when it is running if it was the carb. Check that the fuel filter is good as well pull the coil and clean any debris pay particular attention to ground wire for wear and looseness etc... If a cold start, use only three pulls with choke on, after that it tends to flood out. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
I'm with Stihl Tech,

It should never be that hard too start. When you had it serviced I would have the guy fire it up cold for you. Should go it three pulls, 5 max. Have him show you how to start it properly of fix it so it runs right.

You are in luck with that saw though. If in fact you want to sell it, they are fetching good money on e-bay. :cheers:

Holy Smokes...you guys are quick with the replies. I haven't had it serviced for hard to start issues in a while. The last time I did, they basically just "tuned it up". I just fiddled with it a bit.

I checked the choke flap-OK. I bottomed out the "L" screw and backed off about a full turn. I put the choke on full, pulled and she fired on the 2nd pull-I popped it into run and took the chain brake off, hit the throttle-she dies. I try to re-start=nothing. I do the pull plug and dry, pull cord to empty chamber procedure in the Stihl manual=nothing. Like I said, this has always been a BEEOTCH to start, but now it is really bad.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions. It is really appreciated.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Another hard to start 026. I'd really look at the choke and filter to make sure it's not leaking any air past the choke or filter base. Also try opening the low adjuster 1/4 turn or so that can make a big difference if it's just a little to lean. Both of which you mentioned, I think your on the right track. If it's always been hard to start since new that kind if rules out things like a stiff diaphram. Could be the impulse hose not connected good. I own Husky Stihl Echo Dolmar Solo and a Cub Cadet. Every one of the will take 6 to 9 pulls with the choke on before they pop after they have been sitting a while, if just overnite 2 or 3 pulls. Steve

+1. Your gonna need to go over these items carefully. I'd start with the carb first checking metering diaphram for stiffness and while your there check inlet needle lever height although i'd think there would be issues when it is running if it was the carb. Check that the fuel filter is good as well pull the coil and clean any debris pay particular attention to ground wire for wear and looseness etc... If a cold start, use only three pulls with choke on, after that it tends to flood out. Let us know how it goes.

I just put a new fuel filter in last weekend. I am not sure about pulling the coil. I am leaning more towards a carb issue. Reason=Last week when I finally did get it started....I had trouble keeping it running. Once I turned it off to move some logs I couldn't get it started again.

What a P.I.A.!!

If it runs fine when you CAN start it it may be that you're
missing the "pop" sometimes and the continued pulling is flooding the saw.
Just a thought.
Al:cheers:

Might be - the 026 usually is a good starter.

Try taking it off choke after 3-4 pulls, regardless if you hear a "pop".

Also take it off choke earlier, at the slightest indication that it wants to start.

Might also be too lean on the L side, as others suggested.

Choke flap problems are not uncommon on the 026, as far as I know, but I believe you already ruled that out.....

Last edited:
Stihl041 beat me to it. I'm looking for an 026 pro. Send me a PM if Stihl041 doesn't want it. Would like to get my hands on a 50cc saw. Thanks. As far as it being hard to start. I think flooding too from what you describe. Next time have your dealer crank it in front of you and see what he gets. If it pulls his arm off trying to crank it, and you say "see"! I bet he would be able to find the problem... Good luck. I'm serious about the PM. I've been looking for a good used 026 pro or ms-260 pro. Thanks.

Stihl041 beat me to it. I'm looking for an 026 pro. Send me a PM if Stihl041 doesn't want it. Would like to get my hands on a 50cc saw. Thanks. As far as it being hard to start. I think flooding too from what you describe. Next time have your dealer crank it in front of you and see what he gets. If it pulls his arm off trying to crank it, and you say "see"! I bet he would be able to find the problem... Good luck. I'm serious about the PM. I've been looking for a good used 026 pro or ms-260 pro. Thanks.

PM sent Wild.

I hate to bring it into a dealer again. The last time I did, the overhaul and tune-up really didn't help and the cost was not worth it. I would rather put the $$$ into a new saw at this point. I just am fed up. I will try a little more work on it and see if the suggestions help.

I would think a flooding issue would be correct, BUT-
why doesn't it start after I take the plug out, dry it, clear the chamber by pulling the starter rope, etc that Stihl recommends in the manual?

Last edited:
$.02

if you can rig a pressure and vac tester like i recently did (had all the stuff laying around already cost me nada) then you can rule out a lean condition fom leaking seals, intake boot, and impulse line. if it passes vac/press then i know a guy you can score a brand new carb from, complete and ready to bolt on, cheap.
i like my 026, and everyone else seems to like theirs around this site. as you can see from our responses that saw is worth fixing.:)

If at 1 turn out (L) you hit the thoittle and it dies (not just stumbles...), and it's hard to start... I'd be suspectng an airleak in the flywheels seal, or impluse line... rarely (very rare) the boot.

The 026 is a very starting starting saw...

Oh... don't use the decomp on a 50cc saw... - easier to pull; harder to start...

I hate to bring it into a dealer again. The last time I did, the overhaul and tune-up really didn't help and the cost was not worth it. I would rather put the $$$ into a new saw at this point. I just am fed up. I will try a little more work on it and see if the suggestions help.?

If it didn't help, why didn't you take it back????

If you don't use the saw much, and assuming you didn't idle all the gas out of the carb when you last used it, you might need to clean and rebuild the carb.

If you don't use the saw much, and assuming you didn't idle all the gas out of the carb when you last used it, you might need to clean and rebuild the carb.

I do run the saw dry when done. I only use fresh gas also. I found it easier to start it with fresh gas. Even if I didn't do that, I have always had an issue with hard starting from the begining.

Latest posts

Back