Stihl 028 AV Super Cylinder Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbucker

Reaction score
Hey there.Can anyone help me with removal of an 028 Super cylinder removal and installation.I was just wondering if there is a special tool to get torx screws out and put back in on the base of the cylinder.I have got all 4 of them out but know I am going to have a problem getting them back in.I had to cut my 27 Torx bit down in order to get under the fins and my wrench just barely fit.Awfully tight area on the front two under the exhaust.Can anyone please help?:angry2:

Have you taken the muffler off yet? Thats first thing. Once off, its easy to get to the cyl head screws. When I put a cylinder back on, I always put all 4 screws in the holes after the rings and piston are in the cylinder, before pushing the cylinder down.

All you need is a T27 screwdriver with a shaft at least 3 " long that will fit through the holes in the cylinder fins from the top down to the screws. A pencil shaped magnet or a small extendable magnet will help with removal and placement of the screws or just put them in place before lowering the cylinder into place. The Stihl dealers have a very useful L shaped T 27 driver that is plenty strong enough to remove and replace the cylinder bolts but a regular screwdriver shaped driver is all you really need. To replace and torque the bolts the screwdriver type will allow most mechanics to put the bolts in tight enough and not break or strip them like I have seen far too many broken using socket wrenches, remember these are small machine screws.
Pioneerguy600

All you need is a T27 screwdriver with a shaft at least 3 " long that will fit through the holes in the cylinder fins from the top down to the screws. A pencil shaped magnet or a small extendable magnet will help with removal and placement of the screws or just put them in place before lowering the cylinder into place. The Stihl dealers have a very useful L shaped T 27 driver that is plenty strong enough to remove and replace the cylinder bolts but a regular screwdriver shaped driver is all you really need. To replace and torque the bolts the screwdriver type will allow most mechanics to put the bolts in tight enough and not break or strip them like I have seen far too many broken using socket wrenches, remember these are small machine screws.
Pioneerguy600

+1

Thanx for the ideas people!!I can't believe I didn't see the holes going through the fins!!That's what I get for being in a hurry.Now all I have to do is figure out what mods I can do to hype this saw up a little.Thinking of muffler mod and some port work.Any ideas on what to do to a 028 AV Super to get more performance out of it?Once again thanx for pointing out my stupidity.

Latest posts

Back