Stihl 029 piston removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My brother gave me an 029 that was on his railroad and one of the guys forgot to mix oil in the gas:eek: I have made it clear I hate this model saw because of its pathetic power/weight ratio but I am fixing it for him since the saw was free. I took it apart last night and a new piston and rings is definitely in order. Any tips on removing the wrist pin and the clip holding it in would be appreciated. Also how much can the cylinder tolerate before it is junk? I know the NiCaSil is very very thin so does that mean any groove in the cylinder makes it junk?

You might want to check on parts prices before you spend too much time on that saw. I have found that Stihl's prices on parts pretty much eliminate major repairs on the homeowner saws. :eek:
If it were an 026, I'd be more willing to pursue it.

whell usuauly when i remove the circlips on pistons i use a set of picks and it works out just fine. sometimes i get lucky and get one where there are tabe for a pair of long nose pilers. but after a few minutes of fiddeling i will go right back to the picks. they are a life save on thse small engines.

unfortunately when a 2-stroke is run on too lean of a mix there is not enough lubrication for the cylinder walls - and in your case if the saw was run for long enough to seize up, you can bet the nikasil coating has long since burned off - whether its worth repairing - check the prices for the jug and the piston and re-evaluate. Maybe it is worth rebuilding - maybe not.

A cheap alternative to buying a good set of picks is to grind a sharp point on a scrap car antenna.Dont let it get hot while you are grinding and it will last until you loose.I have one that I used for about 20 years.Never broke or bent one.
Keep watching ebay for a parts saw,sooner or later somebody will roll a log on one and brake up all the plastic.
Dan

Back