Stihl 032 AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillygurl

Reaction score
So, my husband has this Stihl 032 AV which idles but when he turns up the RPM's it sputters and shuts off. When he tries to restart the thing, it won't until it has a chance to cool down. He took it to local repair place and they told him it needed a new coil/coils. No luck in the coil department - can't find one anywhere. Any other suggestions?

So, my husband has this Stihl 032 AV which idles but when he turns up the RPM's it sputters and shuts off. When he tries to restart the thing, it won't until it has a chance to cool down. He took it to local repair place and they told him it needed a new coil/coils. No luck in the coil department - can't find one anywhere. Any other suggestions?

If the quotes are free, get another one from a different chainsaw sales/maintenance shop.
Open up air intake system, to see if the thing is flooding fuel out of top of carby when he goes to accelerate revs (RPM's). Get a download of the maintenance manual from this website. Ask for it, and another kind member will probably answer your request on this site. The manual will answer some things at least, so read it. Check the 2 fuel mixture screw settings, as per the maintenance manual. Screw them in (clockwise), remembering how many turns (or 1/4 turns) in you turn it. Note it down. Turn it back to the same position, or a recommended position in the manual. Perhaps the running "H" screw is open too much, ie, too much counter clockwise? I believe the "L" screw is the idle screw, so sounds like it's set up fine. Keep notes on this, as you can refer to this down the track. Also date the notes, and perhaps log it all on a word doc on paper, PC, DVD or USB stick. Excellent idea to log maintenance of all mechanical items in your life. Looking back at maintenance history of item when there is a problem, is VERY VERY helpful.

good luck
kooliter

I have the same saw minus the problem you have. I would take it to an authorized stihl repair shop. It could need a carb overhaul. What you describe sounds like a coil/ignition issue to me. It could also be a carb issue, stuck valve leading to flooded carb. The saw is worth what ever you have to put into it.

Jeff

Try Chainsawr.com

31-9334 ignition module

Use the 31-9334 ignition module from mymowerparts.com. I have used this part with great success & highly recomend this easy swap. Your coil is likely not the problem, it's the condenser or electronic module. (depending on your saws current ignition)

Last edited:

I would check the coil myself rather than take the diagnosis of someone who may or may not know electronics. If it has points it is much easier to check than the electronic versions but you'd have to have an ohmmeter. Like was already said, it could just as easily be in the carburetor or fuel lines, not an expensive repair. I haven't known these points type coils to go bad that often but that shouldn't be a difficult thing to find or repair if that's really the case. I wouldn't spring for a new points eliminator module until I found out for sure about the coil. If the coil is bad, just eliminating the points won't help the ignition a bit.

31-9334 ignition module

search other threads on this topic before you rule out this fix. based on the symptoms posted I would have to say I am almost positve the ignition module 31-9334 will work. I have used this module my self on several occasions. :chainsawguy:

new condesor or swith to an electronic module.

006-1.jpg

Same app as the 031AV w/points as the 032AV w/points..I fix these all the time at the shop and I'll bet if I take the flywheel off, cut the bad condensor out, silicon a WIMA 630v chip in, one lead goes to the pionts and the other goes to the screw which is grouind/earth and she'll fire right up:rock::rock::rock:. Worth the time indeed if that's the problem. Now if the model is a 032AVE which has the eletronic ignition/coil you will need to add a electronic ignition moduel to fix that app and mounts under the metal cover. I would say $30.00 is more than enough to fix the saw..Good luck!!

Same app as the 031AV w/points as the 032AV w/points..I fix these all the time at the shop and I'll bet if I take the flywheel off, cut the bad condensor out, silicon a WIMA 630v chip in, one lead goes to the pionts and the other goes to the screw which is grouind/earth and she'll fire right up:rock::rock::rock:. Worth the time indeed if that's the problem. Now if the model is a 032AVE which has the eletronic ignition/coil you will need to add a electronic ignition moduel to fix that app and mounts under the metal cover. I would say $30.00 is more than enough to fix the saw..Good luck!!

Does the 032 come out with a coil plus a points replacing module on the AVE models? I had assumed they just had the one module like the newer saws but I guess it could be like the Echo 500 series and have a coil plus a module.

Does the 032 come out with a coil plus a points replacing module on the AVE models? I had assumed they just had the one module like the newer saws but I guess it could be like the Echo 500 series and have a coil plus a module.

You are correct on the module app now the 032AVE has no points and is electronic built into the coil these are what go bad on the 032AVE coils and this is where the ignition module comes into play and is mounted under the handle cover and can be bought at a local auto shop for less than $20.00. All you need is a soldering gun or crimpers to do this task and a drill. PM me if ya need a place to buy these ignition modules for the 032AVE and if ya have a 031/032 with pionts/condensor with no spark I have lots of WIMA chips for that app as well...good luck!

You are correct on the module app now the 032AVE has no points and is electronic built into the coil these are what go bad on the 032AVE coils and this is where the ignition module comes into play and is mounted under the handle cover and can be bought at a local auto shop for less than $20.00. All you need is a soldering gun or crimpers to do this task and a drill. PM me if ya need a place to buy these ignition modules for the 032AVE and if ya have a 031/032 with pionts/condensor with no spark I have lots of WIMA chips for that app as well...good luck!

So far, my 032 still is running great. The original poster of this thread was having ignition troubles and I was trying to get a handle on these coils, electronic and points models. I think mine has the points still in it. I'm leaving it alone while it runs!

which is a better saw?

Out of the Stihl 032 AV and the Stihl 031 AV, which one would you all prefer, and why? whats a good price for a working Stihl 032 AV saw too? 150?

Out of the Stihl 032 AV and the Stihl 031 AV, which one would you all prefer, and why? whats a good price for a working Stihl 032 AV saw too? 150?

I've seen the go on 'the bay for between $100 and $200 depending on the condition of the saw and who's wanting one at the time..ebay's a funny thing, one thing I've learned to count on is to never count on anything!

I took my Old Sparkless in for fixing. It had similar problems. I think they cleaned the carb, and did some other stuff for around $50. It runs well now. Better since I learned it had a safety chain on it. It now has full skip like neice Barbie.

Back