Stihl 036 pressure test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordsoll

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I Put the crankcase seals in my stihl 036 today after putting in the new bearings and before I reassembled it I wanted to pressure and vacuum test it but when I connected the pressure tester to the impulse line barb on the crankcase and squeezed the hand pump the pressure didn't move at all and the vacuum didn't either. I sprayed soapy water on the seals and cylinder base and no bubbles came out same with the crankcase gasket. My question is, is there something im missing? I used an intake boot with a spark plug on the end of it to seal the intake and for the exhaust I just made a gasket without a hole for the exhaust and I am using the impulse barb from the crankcase to pressure test it.

I have a decomp plug in it, I also sprayed soapy water around the intake and it didn't bubble but I didn't check the exhaust because it's a tight space but I will spray some soapy water there too just to see if I can see any bubbles.

I was hoping not to have to dunk the saw in a pail of water but thankfully the intake and exhaust was leaking so I fixed the intake with a bigger bolt but for the exhaust I tried tire tube and then exhaust pipe that did not work so then I made a plate for the exhaust and when I did that it held pressure thankfully. Thanks guys I cant wait to finish putting this saw back together.

I was hoping not to have to dunk the saw in a pail of water but thankfully the intake and exhaust was leaking so I fixed the intake with a bigger bolt but for the exhaust I tried tire tube and then exhaust pipe that did not work so then I made a plate for the exhaust and when I did that it held pressure thankfully. Thanks guys I cant wait to finish putting this saw back together.

A good, well made , bicycle tire scrap inner tube works great for exhaust. Save it, many saws will have similar ex spacing.

Motor cycle tubes are more durable.........

I finished putting it back together today and it seemed to run pretty well but I still need a throttle linkage before I can cut any wood.

Latest posts

Back