Stihl 038 magnum $245 US an good price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinman204

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey all, been looking for 60 to 70cc saw to up my firewood production. Kinda settled on buying a 61 husqvarna and building a 272xp out of it.. Theres not a ton of big saws around my parts so its slim pickins

A nice clean stihl 038 magnum came up for sale yesterday. Fellow says hes the second owner, he freshened it up this year with new crank bearings, seals and new OEM stihl rings.

Its wearing a brand new stihl 24" sprocket nose bar and chain..

He said it starts and runs perfect.

He wants $245 for it..

Good deal or should I still do the 61/272 project?

I found a clean late model 61, with a new husqvarna 20" sprocket nose bar and chain.fellow wants $175 US for it. Same as the 038 it runs and works fine.

So buy a complete 038 mag or should I build a 272xp?

Any thoughts?

Oh and I'll add I'm a Stihl guy but something about the way those bigger Huskies cut is sucking me in.

Is it comparable to a 272xp??

It will be for personal use around the farm.

Mostly cutting pine but I'd like to cut said pine fast.

You'll start a cat fight asking that question. There's lots of love for both just depends on your flavor. 038 Mags are classic torq monsters while a 272 would be smoother. Anyone who hasn't owned an 038M owes it to themselves to try one.

You'll start a cat fight asking that question. There's lots of love for both just depends on your flavor. 038 Mags are classic torq monsters while a 272 would be smoother. Anyone who hasn't owned an 038M owes it to themselves to try one.

Don't want to start a husqvarna vs stihl battle for sure!!

I'm a stihl guy by convenience more then anything. I have 3 or 4 stihl dealers close in my area and theres only a few husky dealers around and none are close.

I think I'm going to have a look at that 038 mag after work. Price seems fair and the fellow selling it seems straight up with its condition. I'm looking for a torque saw more then a speed saw.
Something that I can tell, buck and noodle pine with as that's 80-90% of what I burn.

If it runs good like he says and looks serviceable I'm sure I'll buy it. Folks on here seem to speak highly of the 038 so who am I to argue?

I had a 038 here my only complaint was the airfilter choke deal. Well and the expensive stihl oem parts.

Picked up that saw.

In my ever present wisdom I posted a new thread as I forgot I had this one going!!

Latest posts

Back