Stihl 038AV Cylinder Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hman1024

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am working on a Stihl 038AV chainsaw. I am attaching some pictures of the cylinder and its markings. My question is this an OEM original cylinder for this chainsaw? I am unfamiliar with this marking on the cylinder. I feel like I should know but wanted to confirm.

Thank you for your help.

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_3355.jpeg
    IMG_3355.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3358.jpeg
    IMG_3358.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3357.jpeg
    IMG_3357.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3356.jpeg
    IMG_3356.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I picked it up with some parts missing, so I’m tearing it all the way down to go through it. That was the surprising part is it’s not blown piston or abused, cylinder looks great. It did have a broken handle and worn AV bushings. I’m expecting some kind of surprise like I don’t have a spark . Planning to take my time on this build, and if I do end up liking it, then I’ll have myself another for the garage.

One of the best saws Stihl ever produced, I wish I still had mine!

I've got 3 runners and parts carcasses...

First was a Mag I got free ~30 years ago from a logger friend. It was filthy but ran great, piston looked new, when stripped and cleaned. So good I spent on some parts : new 25" ES bar/RS chain/rim, AF, rubber AV. It's still going never had to lift cylinder nor do seals/carb yet...

The other ones are 038S----> 038M conversions. Got those free as lean seizes...One got NOS OEM parts the other Italian Tecomec P/C parts.

Three for free, just my time and parts into them.

A little heavy but reliable as the sun.

Back