Stihl 051 fuel cap venting issue?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeytree

Reaction score
Hi,

I was gifted an 051av that has sat forever. Fuel line was melted to black goo amongst the thick varnish residue of the old gas left long since evaporated from tank. Cleaned it with acetone and (unfortunately, as it ate the paint in the tank which created more work) as it was the only thing I could get my hands on that would touch the gooey mess. New tank lift line and filter and fuel line from tank to carb, carb kit. She flashes right up and seems to run fine.

Problem is, it aggressively spews fuel out of the fuel cap where the vent hole is (directly in the centre of cap, about 1.5 mm diameter ) as I bring the revs up, spraying me with fuel. Looking at Stihl schematics my cap seems to differ from the ones shown, in that it is simply a hole straight into the fuel cap from the top. There is no other venting into the tank, only the hole in the cap.

Putting a set/self tapping screw into the hole in cap I don't think would work as the tank won't vent properly (unless it self pressurizes?). Does anyone have a trick for simple check valve to set into the hole in cap to help keep the fuel in? Or have I screwed up on the carb kit and the check valves in the carb aren't doing their job? Remember these saws fuel tanks are completely separate from the crankcase so its unlikely it is a crankcase leak into the fuel cell. Pressurization has to be coming through the carb.

Thanks

Ok. Thanks. There is no grub screw, just raw day light shining through. I'll check with the local saw shop and see if they have any. In the mean time, is there anything different about a grub screw vs a set screw? I'm trying to imagine how air gets by the treads.

... should be OK as long as air can flow in...

The grub screw used by Stihl has a groove along (or better across ??) the threads, if I remember correctly ...

Yep, my understanding is that Stihl uses a pressurized gas tank system, so a missing grub screw would clearly be a problem. The USFS has also suspended purchases on some Stihl's due to a fuel Geysering issue, where firefighters have opened up the cap quickly and spewed themselves with fuel. I've never seen or had this happen personally, but tuned into this thread wondering if that was the concern.

Here's a web site dedicated toward such a discussion.

Bob

Post a pic of your cap. There were several venting setups used for the tanks in the recoil assembly. One just had a grub screw threaded into the side of the cap. Another had the grub screw (threaded pin) in a 'valve body' under the cap and yet another used a flapper type vent/valve in a similar valve body.
All the different caps will interchange among the 041, 045, 056, 050/051, and 075/076 tanks.

Latest posts

Back