Stihl 056 gas tank leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonrkba

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Sorry to post so much on this saw but it's a little different in a few ways than the 100's of other saws I've worked on. My gas tank is leaking and before taking everything apart do these saws have a leaky spot other than a gasket I need to focus on.

Thanks. Jason.

YUPP they can leak because of Mag rot or Gasket deteriorated or I have had a crack in the carb side half at the lower handle mount from a saw being thrown when saw owner was falling off of a debarker deck. Leak never showed up for 3 or 4 years after I got the saw. Other leaks were easily visible due to other saws bark dawgs or Leaking patches. One tank had a crack around a screw boss under the Kill switch. It was a bugger cuz it would only leak on a full tank or with a more than half full and cutting horizontal for while and the leak went into the air/carb box so wasn't immediately obvious. Take the tank off, empty it and pressurize it while you have it submerged in water. (With fuel line plugged the vent is in the cap so a piece of saran wrap might work if the gas doesn't melt it).

I'll check all that when I get home. We are off to Florida in the morning for my father in law's funeral. We are planning to come home Wednesday. After the 12 hour drive I may take another day off of work to recover. I do have two spare tanks so I'm certain we will get it squared away.

I'll check all that when I get home. We are off to Florida in the morning for my father in law's funeral. We are planning to come home Wednesday. After the 12 hour drive I may take another day off of work to recover. I do have two spare tanks so I'm certain we will get it squared away.
I would wager it is the Gasket But the pressure test is the way to be sure.

It could be the tank cap and I pray that is all that is wrong. A new cap or sealing washer could fix it. Check that out first. If the cap is innocent, you could have a crack somewhere and need a new tank housing. That is not cheap.

Latest posts

Back