Stihl 056 Muffler Vibration Embrittlement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening all,

My 056 super muffler (actually the silencer plate that sits between the front cover and the main housing to the
muffler - #8 in the picture) has vibration embrittlement.

The rolled flange has broken around 1/2 of the circumference and is now rattling / buzzing like a pissed off wasp.

9AFE5D76-0462-4EE5-9E32-58EAA4C1E8DF.jpeg

Besides replacing it completely (they are NLA of course, used or NOS are available, but very expensive) does anyone have an alternative solution?

What did you do with yours?

I have a few ideas that I could try, but none seem to be ideal long term.

Thanks,

Have you tried running it without the plate?

I feared it would be too open and may affect performance, it would basically be a straight open exhaust and crazy loud, the thing is deafening already and seems much louder than even the 076 super !
Have you ran one with it removed?

I have run plenty of hollow box mufflers and remove the internal baffles from most every saw I own.
Thanks Jerry, it’s not that it’s hollow, more
That the front cover is just full of holes and gaps. It won’t offer any exhaust direction it’s basically this that will be all that’s left covering the muffler front if I remove the baffle plate. It’s unlike the conventional sealed tin can with internal baffle.
18C9A5A8-CC11-4961-AD90-546F7D1246CA.png

You may have to take up welding like we already corresponded about. I had to build up several old mufflers for saws that I couldn`t get replacements for before the internet. After the net became useful I found NOS ones for most except my Titan`s but I did find NOS gearboxes and internal gears for them. I am always surprised at what is still out there somewhere for really old chainsaws from the early 40`s onward.

Latest posts

Back