Stihl 066 Clutch Cover Doesn’t Fit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I brought a new clutch cover for my 066, but the one that came doesn’t go on because of the little metal prongs that protrude off the metal bar plate.

Anyone had this before? What’s the solution you came up with?

I don’t really want to remove them because I presume they help align the bar..

IMG_2682.jpegIMG_2683.jpeg

Not all the bar plates have those prongs, my earliest 066 had them but the later ones do not . I do not think they have any particular function so you could cut them off or just get a newer bar plate. The bar slot aligns on the stud shoulders, those springy prongs would not hold or align anything much.

Not all the bar plates have those prongs, my earliest 066 had them but the later ones do not . I do not think they have any particular function so you could cut them off or just get a newer bar plate. The bar slot aligns on the stud shoulders, those springy prongs would not hold or align anything much.
Thanks Jerry :) I really want to keep the saw as original as possible so would prefer not to cut off the tabs, but certainly does make sense!

I ended up just removing a small area of the new clutch cover and painted it with stihl gray I had colour matched a few years ago.

IMG_2684.jpeg

I bought my early 066 from Ontario where it was originally sold new and it came with the inner bar plate like Tom`s. I just figured it was an early design as the 066 was a short case flat top. One would need an early short case IPL to see if it was used only on the early saws.
Thanks Jerry :) I really want to keep the saw as original as possible so would prefer not to cut off the tabs, but certainly does make sense!

I ended up just removing a small area of the new clutch cover and painted it with stihl gray I had colour matched a few years ago.

View attachment 1131399
Good job, good workaround ,I would have taken the easier route, we will see what Bob has to say about it.

It appears they are for the Brazil saw Tom. Different clutch cover also, I think it is the R rescue saw cover. You can see it on 064 IPL. So if you really want to use it you might have to fork out for a new R cover. Why not keep it for a rainy day and use the standard bar plate that has served so well on hundreds of thousands of 1122 saws?
Edit, I just saw you made it fit, good job

Back