stihl 066 redeye wont idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Upon further tear down...

the flywheel was already loose, and the seal behind the flywheel is visibly torn up.

My guess is now the saw needs crank bearings, and crank seals.

anyone got a good 660 bottom end for sale?

I might be better off parting this one out.

:censored:

Send it to me Ill fix it. If it were mine Id split it and put in new bearings.:)

well, I was apparently in a money spending mood the other night.

tonight, I decided to replace the crank seal, ( bearings are quiet and smooth)
crank seal behind the flywheel was TOTALLY missing the blue rubber portion that actually touches the crankshaft.

I cant believe the saw ran at all.

now, onto the stripped out cylinder bolt hole.

got the cylinder, and piston off, waiting on base gasket from local dealer.

How large can I go with re-tapping this hole before I get into something important below it?

fuel tank I guess.

Ill try and get some pics.

Alright, time for an update

replaced crank seal on flywheel side.

crank bearings seem quiet, flywheel doesnt wobble.

retapped the stripped cyinder to case bolt to 1/4x20, new base gasket.

all bolted down, and put together.

tried to start.

DANG I can barely pull it over. remembered I had filled the crank case with 2 stroke oil for the crank bearings.

remove muffler, hold saw upside down, drain out oil.
remove plug, now I can pull it over easier.

put it back together.
pull it a few times..
wont start, smells like fuel in the exhaust.
must be the spark.

remove starter cover, WAY too much airgap.
business card out of back pocket,set gap, and tighten coil back down.

full choke one pull, it fires, choke off, one more pull it fires and takes off on fast idle, smoking like the ####ens.

rev it a few times, let it settle down, adjust idle and mixture screws.

idles perfect, revs nice.

seems to be fixed.

Ill cut with it this weekend, and get a tach on it, set for 11500 rpm or so.

Ill get some pics and video too.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice and helped me on this one!

I think mine 4 strokes around 12.6K. Tune it so that it 4 strokes out of the wood, but not in it. 11.5K sounds slow.

BTW, good work, and good luck with the saw!

11,500 is way too low. Spec is 13,000 on a new 066. If you're still running the original coil, it's rev limited as well. You're not being nice to the saw by running it that rich. You'll carbon it up and make a lot less power.

066 redeye

be carefull tuning it if it still has the rev limiting coil or you will toast it. find out what coil you have and set it accordingly

stihl 066 redeye

He may make it too lean by mistaking the sound of the limiter cutting out as 4 stroking. also have to be carefull setting with a tach. if its the orig redeye coil they are know to limit @ lower rpms as the age and exposure to heat. should set it rich and ease it leaner and pay attention to how the tach is reacting.theres no point setting it more than 12500 or so if it's stock

He may make it too lean by mistaking the sound of the limiter cutting out as 4 stroking. also have to be carefull setting with a tach. if its the orig redeye coil they are know to limit @ lower rpms as the age and exposure to heat. should set it rich and ease it leaner and pay attention to how the tach is reacting.theres no point setting it more than 12500 or so if it's stock

ah... all clear as mud now:clap:

You bet it would-----I was actually thinking of the base bolts as I read down through the thread. Well really, I was.

thanks for the advice guys.

ITs to early ( 7:30am) here for me to be out there tuning it right now, neighbors dogs can bark this early, but I just cant bring myself to go find 12.5K on a 2 stroke that early.

thanks for the tip of mistaking the rev limit for the 4 stroke burble.

red light just starts to flicker when I hold it WOT for a second or 2, its revving, but it does sound slow.

this saw is a beast, I think Id get tired FAST cutting with it.

Ive read much of your research and findings here Bsnelling about the different flywheels and ignitions, but I have slept since then, so it is mostly a blur in my head.
:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back