Stihl 084 education

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsamm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm in need of some advanced education in regard to the Stihl 084. I bought one 3 or 4 years ago that is in amazingly good shape and almost complete, except it was missing the coil. Not knowing at the time I bought it that locating most of the critical pieces for these saws is pretty much an impossibility and then, when found, can be crazy expensive. Anyway, I'm now finding time to check this one out more closely and to get what's missing in order to get it running. I've worked on and put together a lot of Stihl saws, from small to large, but this one has me a little spooked because I have no idea what is really "correct" or what will work. First thing is that coil...right after I got the saw, I got a coil and some other misc. parts for it, thinking I had what was needed. Finally got a chance to really look the extra stuff over this morning to discover that the coil is unlike any I've ever run across. May be common stuff to some of you, but I'm not at all sure about this one and if it is compatible with the flywheel which is on the saw. It has the regular body, similar to most any coil for a large Stihl but it also has another part wired in. In doing a little preliminary reading, it appears that what I have is one with a "third leg". In looking at the case where it attaches, it looks like I indeed have 3 threaded holes for mounting the coil itself, and this piece.(?) Is it compatible with the flywheel I have - 1124 400 1203 A ? The flywheel has 2 key slots and is in very nice condition - nothing beat up and no fins broken off, etc.. I had also bought another coil for it, just to have on hand (prior to really getting good look at this one) which is part # 1124 400 1303. It is NOS and doesn't have the extra leg. Can either of these be used with the existing flywheel or would the NOS one have to have a different flywheel? Is one better in performance and/or reliability than the other. In the reading I've done so far, I've seen several references to one coil or the other as being "limited" or not. Are either or both of these rev limited? I've attached a few pics of the coil, flywheel and case, so maybe one of you fellows with far more knowledge on this than I have can offer some good reliable advice. Owing to the fact that I've had all of this in my possession for the last 3 or 4 years, it can be seen that I'm in no particular hurry to put it together, but it is past time to do so, so I'll confess, I am getting a little anxious to see if it will run. Please...any thoughts will be much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2516.JPG
    IMG_2516.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2517.JPG
    IMG_2517.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2518.JPG
    IMG_2518.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2519.jpg
    IMG_2519.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2520.jpg
    IMG_2520.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2515.JPG
    IMG_2515.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2503.JPG
    IMG_2503.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2504.JPG
    IMG_2504.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2500.JPG
    IMG_2500.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2499.JPG
    IMG_2499.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 19
The used coil you have looks to be the 1124 400 1305 coil. The extra part that bolts on with it is the trigger unit. It should be compatible with your flywheel and I "think" it uses slot B (don't quote me on that). It's an unlimited coil.

The 1303 coil I believe is a rev-limited coil. I think it uses slot P. Look for the letters "CDIC" on the body.

OK, thank you for the quick response. Still wonder if the 1303 coil would work with the existing flywheel...just in case.

OK, was wondering about the two keyways and the purpose of the extra one. I don't think I have anything else that has one of these. I'll look around and see if I can find out which one goes with which coil. Thank you for your help...

Thanks for the information...With all of this, I'm sure I'll be able to get it right.

Latest posts

Back