Stihl 260 Pro clutch self disassembly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User Name Here

Lowly Firewood Cutter
Reaction score
Yesterday my assistant brings in our Stihl 260 pro and says "I think I burnt this thing up". Said he thought that it was making a funny racket and didn't want to run. So I take a look at it after lunch - try to crank it and it fires but immediately dies. I crank it again and it runs and sounds horrible - like it's trying to run with the compression release engaged. I turn it off immediately. I take the clutch cover off and the clutch drum and sprocket fall off in my hand. apparently some how the "E" clip and retainer for the sprocket/clutch has just fell off somehow and let everything go. It toasted the cage bearing and broke 2 clutch springs in the process.

So we have an identical twin in the basement that had been retired, so I go cannibalize it for the clutch assembly, cage bearing, retainer, E clip, etc. I put it all back together and go outside to test run it. Fires right up, sounds great, I rev it a few times and something just ain't right. I engage the chain brake and flip the saw over and I can see the clutch drum dancing around behind the clutch cover. "What the...", I turn it off and remove clutch cover, lo and behold, the e clip and retainer are gone... again. I walk back outside and find them easily enough. Apparently, the e clip had been stretched out or something and was barely holding onto the end of the crank. I checked it on the other saw and it's the same way. I just take my pliers and gently squeeze it further closed and seems to have fixed the issue. If it happens again I'm going to get a new e clip.

I have never seen an E clip get loose but I'm sure it's possible, especially with repeated disassembly. Neither of these saws have been taken apart THAT often to stretch them out. I just thought it was odd the way it happened.

Here is the remains of what I initially found
20180209_084701.jpg

I would guess that the technique being used to remove the clip is where the problem lies. I have never heard of such a thing.
I dare say my technique for removing the clips is just like everyone else's - using the scrench to gently pry the e clip out of the slot while holding a finger on it to keep it from flying halfway across the room. At least that's the way everyone that I've ever seen does it...

The 0000 958 1032 washer has a lip in that keeps that from happening... even on worn out e-clips.

View attachment 631458
View attachment 631457
From the looks of my e clip and retainer - I have the one on the right. After squeezing the ends closed a little it seems to stay on well. Here is the culprit in question:20180209_095309.jpg

Can you take a pic of the rim sprocket? The edge of it, where the drive links engage?

It looks pretty bad from what little I can see of it, but that may just be an illusion.

buy a new one or three.
its been stressed beyond yield opening then squeezing closed. might be ok but probably a fatigue crack in the future.
dollars worth clips compared to clutch or case. and have the others in the spares bag. they have a special attraction to snow and leaves covering the ground

I'm sure it could use a new e clip and I'll likely get one the next time I go to the shop, along with a new cage bearing as well, but it'll do for now no problem.

Back