Stihl 441 vapor lock fix....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldsawnut

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Spoke with my dealer today and we got on the subject of the 441... He said the original ones had problems on the hot days because they ran the fuel line too close to the cylinder. :censored: Thus causing the fuel to heat up and causing the saw to vaporlock... He said stihl now makes a heat shield for the fuel line and there shouldn't be any more problems with top ends. He also said that in a couple months when the thinners hit it hard it should tell the tale. Might just inspire me to get one if it all works out :greenchainsaw: Anyway I just though I would throw it out for anyone who had a 441 and might want to look into it.

Spoke with my dealer today and we got on the subject of the 441... He said the original ones had problems on the hot days because they ran the fuel line too close to the cylinder. :censored: Thus causing the fuel to heat up and causing the saw to vaporlock... He said stihl now makes a heat shield for the fuel line and there shouldn't be any more problems with top ends. He also said that in a couple months when the thinners hit it hard it should tell the tale. Might just inspire me to get one if it all works out :greenchainsaw: Anyway I just though I would throw it out for anyone who had a 441 and might want to look into it.

Thanks for the info. My 441 like most every Stihl made has been dead reliable.

Idaho fire crews first noticed this last summer at altitude on hot days. Made for hard hot restarts. None I know of around here have had any issues, so it was likely a combination of both ambient and altitude.

The hose inside the carb box (not running too close to the cylinder), so it was the entire carb box getting hot. I haven't seen the fix yet. I'll see if I can get a picture.

Last edited:
I know they went through a few saws down here but maybe they got a bad batch although I heard it from both big chehalis dealers (Not mentioning any names)

I beleive it was common to all the saws - not a bad unit or batch.

I'll never be able to guess the names :greenchainsaw:

Back