Stihl BLK

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupedoggy

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My friend has a Stihl BLK that he would like to get an idea as to its value. He still uses it to cut wood and it is original in every
detail. It even has 1/2 inch chain as standard. It came with a canvas bag of tools and he even has that! The paint is red and also original. The tag reads; type BLK 57 leistung 5 hp hubraum 98ccm motor n 73369 drehzahl 5000 baujahr H. If anyone can supply information as to year of manufacture and approx. value we would appreciate it. He would like to move up to a new Stihl for his woodcutting. Mike

Are you saying he wants to sell it to finance his next saw? He better hold on to that baby. I have never seen one for sale but it would have to be worth $4-500 at least

I visited that site and it does look exactly like the BLK in the picture. I got additional info from my friend that he purchased it from an older man that was in the navy and this saw may have come from Germany. That is to say it may have never been intended for export. That is probably why you have not seen any. They would have to be rare in the US. Mike

Yeah well their definition of light weight and mine are different;) I would not want to use my "light weight" Homelite ZIP with no muffler and about 20lbs for more than 10 minutes!!

man a homelite zip is a lightweight. try using a model 26 LCS or a model 20 MCS for 1/2 hour or more. i bet you will nto be able to move too well the next morning. but that site was pretty cool.

The Stihl BLK was NOT the worlds first light weight chain saw. The BLK might have been the first one that Stihl built but it was definietly not the Worlds first.

It is only worth as much as someone will pay for it. I have tons of stuff that I think thats valuable. Nobody will give me a dime for any of it.:( I would say put a price on it yourself and if you dont get it. Dont sell it. It will be worth more to you than somebody else.

I agree with the Dr. John, I doubt that big tank is lightweight. I think most early Homelites were lighter. I think that the first lightweight chainsaw was the Homelite XL-12, that introduced that first 3/8" pitch chain from a little company called Oregon (Omark) Jonathan

Wow;

I didn't think the Stihl BLK was worth that much. I collect saws because I enjoy the hobby, and I dont really think of them as an investment. Even though I collect (mostly) Two Man Chainsaws, I believe I will hang on to my BLK and it's older brother, the BL.

Best Regards; David

& I supose most of you will not think the Stihk Bl, was not the first (1) man gasoline powered chain saw either.

One man saw tundraotto, not any two man behemoth. Everyone was making those two man monsters in the thirties and forties

The first true one man chain saw was built by I.E.L. in Vancouver B.C. Canada in 1944. It was called the Beaver. It was 2.785 cu. in. and weighed in at 35 lbs. Homelite did not produce their first gasoline engine chain saw until 1950.
McCulloch built their first in 1948. I.E.L. were building their first direct drive chain saw by 1951 and to be successful with it they had to develop a bar and chain combination as well.
Mike

Back