Stihl Dealer Parts issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefunaro

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey all--

I have had a tough time finding a decent dealer in my area for saws, mainly because the saw population density in this area isnt all that great.

I've actually had a dolmar dealer reluctantly admit that he only had semi-chisel safety chain in stock--for all his saws!

So, even the best dealer that I've dealt with isn't all that good. I called to find out if they had the 7 tooth rim sprocket for an MS-460, and was told, by some kid working there, that they "only make an 8 tooth." Otherwise, if you want the 7 tooth, you'd have to buy the whole kit and convert from a rim sprocket to a spur sprocket. I went to my IPL and called them with the part number for the 7 tooth--they actually had 3 in stock and didn't know it.

Today I was looking to get some Stihl Cleaner-Degreaser (I know the purple stuff works nearly as well), and was first directed to cans of resin cleaner for hedge clippers. I opened up their catalog and showed them the product. After about 5 minutes of so of looking through binders, I was told that they can only order it in cases of 12, and they were unwilling, unless I'd take the whole case of 12.

Have you guys had your dealers do this? I'm pretty sure that if they got a case they could move it within a year or so. This place isn't hurting for money--it's a pretty successful "No Value" hardware store and tool rental.

Can I call stihl and ask them to find a way to furnish the product? I'm under the impression that if they're going to have it in their catalog, I should really be able to get it, without having to buy a truckload.

MGF

Fluids for Stihl come direct from another location than the area distributor.
The shipping costs on just one case of product would double the retail
cost as well, unless they could get it by ordering a pallet of oil with free
freight and terms, so getting a dealer to carry a product that may not move
is not that easy. Maybe one of the guys here that work at a Stihl dealership
could get you a bottle.

On special order items we some times have to say no. I've had guys want to buy a FS250 and other trimmers which come in boxes of two. I tell them I can order it but you'll have to buy two since we haven't moved a FS250 in about 3 years. We don't carry the Stihl cleaning products either all we stock is oils and a couple cans of orange and gray spray paint, and would be hard pressed to sell any degreaser over the course of a year. I don't blame them for not wanting to order a product the don't have any demand for. We stock parts that sell and have a high rate of turn over, we stock a lot of parts for the products we sell a lot of. It seems like people on here get a knot in their shorts when their local dealer has to order something. If the don't sell a lot of them they shouldn't be expected to carry parts. I had a guy get pissed that I'd have to order in a set of spikes, and an air filter for a 038, we only see about 5 of them in for service every year and why stock parts for them, when I can stock parts I know I will sell like parts for an 026 which we service over 100 a year.

Last edited:
WOW, I figured that one would be a good seller. Just know i love mine.

Interesting that you say that, I feel the same way. I have a dealer I use that can get and does, anything that I need. They are also a very high volume operation. I needed some FS250 parts the other day and was surprised they didn't even have any of the basics. When I inquired, I was similarly told that they hadn't sold one in several years and trimmers just don't sell in general.

We sell tons of trimmers, but a good percentage of our customers are first time owners of a premium brand, so getting them to go for a FS130 or FS250 for most is overkill.The few big trimmers we sell people love. Our best selling models are the FS55 and FS90, with trimmers 300$ seems like a breaking point on a trimmer. We have a lot of farmettes locally, 10 acres and less and a couple acres of it is fenced for a couple horses and they need to do around the fencing once a year and maybe do some light brush cutting, but mainly just weed eat around the house and yard is a good description our a lot of customer needs. This is also why we sell 50 times more MS250's than we do MS361's or any other pro saw.

Last edited:
Back