Stihl FS-36 trimmer question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildnCrazyGuy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Do I have weak clutch springs?

I have a trimmer head that won't stop spinning on an FS-36. No matter how I adjust the LA screw is, it still spins. I can take my hand, if brave enough, and hold onto the trimmer head and it has very little resistance and I can stop the movement for as long as I wish, but let go of the head and it slowly spins again. I hit the throttle and it trims nicely and pretty strong. Just an annoying slowish spin while idling which the manual says it shouln't do properly adjusted. I inspected the clutch and drum while I had it apart to make some fixes recently and they both look OK, at least to me, an unskilled, untrained homeowner... I've been searching and weak springs is what I come up with, but what might be other possibilities from what I described? Thanks.

I have worked on a few saws that have done the same thing, clutch got to hot, and the springs fatiged. I don't see why that same thing wouldn't happen to a trimmer. Grass, vines, weeds wrapping around the shaft, over working the clutch. I think your assesment is probobly correct.

Latest posts

Back